How Can Light Exist When Time is Stopped?

In summary: So it's more about the story, not the science. In summary, the protagonist can't stop time, and as a result, reality often takes a backseat to aesthetics in science-fiction stories.
spooky
how do we...

:confused:
hello guyz
this is my first query on this site i recently joined
i have a lot of questions stocked up in my head here is the first one

i know the answer to this one but i may be wrong
i like to see sci-fi movies and especially i am interested in ones where there is usually movement in time sum body going to the past that is or the one where the hero usually stops the time

well know here is the question that wen the hero stops the time how can he see light wen the light (photons)can only exist wen it is traveling at the speed of light because it can only exist then ... but the time has been stopped the stoppage means that it effects everything to the electronic level hence the source producing the light will stop producing it and the supply will be cut of not to mention the one mid way will also stop and hence it will cease to exist
i think that its a flaw that the movie producers usually make .... am i right ... ineed other peoples opinion ...please reply soon...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, there isn't any way he can do that. Write the producers and tell them so. Did you ever notice how all the aliens encountered on Star gate not only are basically humn in configuration but all speak English? Latin or Chinese or Caveman I could understand, but English?

"Flaw" is a very generous term, in that it implies writers for TV shows/movies make an attempt to use good science in their stories.

They don't.

Welcome to Physics Forums, spooky. You're right...the hero can't stop time and still expect everything to function normally (aside from everyone freezing in their tracks). The ways that would mess with the workings of the universe seem too numerous to list.

DaveC426913 said:
"Flaw" is a very generous term, in that it implies writers for TV shows/movies make an attempt to use good science in their stories.

They don't.

For actual SF films, I think there are attempts to use good science. (e.g., writers/directors consulting with some scientist) SF fans will nitpick flaws, so there is great incentive. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that due to all the people involved in production, any attempts to "keep it real" gets skewed by 100 other opinions that go into the making of each scene. Reality likely takes a back seat to aesthetics.

Phobos said:
Reality likely takes a back seat to aesthetics.

Alas, that is almost always the case. However, I am still confident that a great science-fiction story could be created (and interpreted as a movie or T.V. show) without violating known science. I base this on the following:

1) Science (as in real Science) is fascinating. People just don't realize it, and sci-fi flicks aren't helping.

2) I'm writing it :approve:.

FAQ: How Can Light Exist When Time is Stopped?

1. How is light affected by time stopping?

Time being stopped does not affect the existence of light. Light is a fundamental force that exists independently of time.

2. Can light travel in a universe with stopped time?

Yes, light can still travel in a universe with stopped time. The speed of light remains constant, regardless of the state of time.

3. How does time stopping affect the perception of light?

Time stopping would not have any effect on the perception of light. Our perception of light is based on the speed at which it travels and the frequency of its waves, not on the passing of time.

4. Is light necessary for time to exist?

No, light is not necessary for time to exist. Time is a fundamental aspect of the universe, while light is just one of the many forms of energy that exist within it.

5. Can time be stopped in a vacuum where light is present?

Yes, time can be stopped in a vacuum where light is present. Time is a relative concept and can be affected by the presence of massive objects, but this does not affect the existence or behavior of light.