How Can Logarithmic Differentiation Prove dy/dx Equals y/x?

In summary: Differentiating, we get ##dy/dx = c##, while ##y/x = c##, so indeed ##dy/dx = y/x##. In summary, the variables x and y are related by x^a.y^b = (x+y)^(a+b) where a and b are positive constants. By using the constraint, it can be shown that dy/dx = y/x, provided that bx is not equal to ay. This can also be derived using logarithms, but there is a simpler method using the constraint.
Rafiul Nakib
Member warned about not using the template and showing work only in an image
the variables x and y are positive and related by x^a.y^b=(x+y)^(a+b) where a and b are positive constants. By taking logarithms of both sides, show that dy/dx=y/x. provided that bx not equal to ay.

Attachments

• IMAG2067.jpg
    IMAG2067.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have typed in your derivation. In that case, I would be able to show where your error is. The differentiation is not correct.

x^a.y^b=(x+y)^(a+b)
=> ln(x^a.y^b) = ln((x+y)^(a+b))
=>a lnx + b lny = (a+b)ln(x+y)
=>a. d/dx lnx + b. d/dx lny = (a+b). d/dx ln(x+y)
=> a/x + b/y. dy/dx = (a+b)/(x+y). dy/dx

The last line is where I think I made a mistake. Can you please help?

Yes, d/dx [ln(x+y)]=1/(x+y) d/dx(x+y) . What is d/dx(x+y)? it is a sum, you have to differentiate both terms. What is dx/dx?

Rafiul Nakib said:
the variables x and y are positive and related by x^a.y^b=(x+y)^(a+b) where a and b are positive constants. By taking logarithms of both sides, show that dy/dx=y/x. provided that bx not equal to ay.

I know the question tells you to use logarithms, but there is a much easier way: the constraint ##x^a y^b = (x+y)^{a+b}## implies that
[tex] \left(\frac{x}{x+y}\right)^a \left( \frac{y}{x+y} \right)^b = 1, [/tex]
hence ##r^a (1-r)^b = 1##, where ##r = x/(x+y)##. For given ##a,b##, that means that ##r## is the solution, or one of two solutions to an equation, so ##x/(x+y)## is a constant. Thus, ##y = cx## for some constant ##c>0##.

FAQ: How Can Logarithmic Differentiation Prove dy/dx Equals y/x?

1. What is the basic rule for differentiating logarithmic functions?

The basic rule for differentiating logarithmic functions is that the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x. In other words, the derivative of ln(x) is equal to the reciprocal of x.

2. How do I differentiate a logarithmic function with a base other than e?

To differentiate a logarithmic function with a base other than e, you can use the change of base formula. This formula states that loga(x) = ln(x)/ln(a). Once you have rewritten the function in terms of ln(x), you can then use the basic rule for differentiating logarithms.

3. Can I differentiate a logarithmic function with multiple terms inside?

Yes, you can differentiate a logarithmic function with multiple terms inside. However, you will need to use the product rule or quotient rule, depending on the structure of the function. You may also need to use the chain rule if there are nested logarithms or other functions within the logarithm.

4. Is there a general rule for differentiating logarithmic functions?

Yes, there is a general rule for differentiating logarithmic functions. It is known as the logarithmic differentiation rule, which states that the derivative of ln(f(x)) is equal to f'(x)/f(x). This rule is useful for differentiating more complex logarithmic functions.

5. Are there any special cases when differentiating logarithmic functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when differentiating logarithmic functions. One is when the logarithm is raised to a power, in which case you can use the power rule to differentiate. Another is when the logarithm is multiplied by a constant, in which case you can use the constant multiple rule. Additionally, if the logarithm is in the denominator of a fraction, you can use the quotient rule.

Back