How Can Momentum and Radial Force Help Solve a Collision Problem?

In summary, to determine the minimum initial speed of the dart for the combined sphere and dart to make a complete circular loop after collision, you need to first calculate the speed of the "sphere + dart" at the top of the motion using Newton's 2nd law. Then, calculate the speed of the "sphere + dart" just after the collision at the bottom of the circle. Finally, use these values to determine the speed of the dart needed to produce the required speed in the "sphere + dart" after the collision.
fiestyman001

Homework Statement

A 17.00 kg lead sphere is hanging from a hook by a thin wire 3.00 m long, and is free to swing in a complete circle. Suddenly it is struck horizontally by a 5.00 kg steel dart that embeds itself in the lead sphere.

What must be the minimum initial speed of the dart so that the combination makes a complete circular loop after the collision?

Homework Equations

momentum: P1=P2
Force radial=mv^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the start to my thought process, but it doesn't go anywhere from here.
You calculate the circumference of the circle that the combined sphere and dart go. We need to find the V in the Radial force equation which is equal to the sqrt(Frad*radius/mass). We have all of the knowns except for Frad and V (V is the final speed of both objects together for it to go around one loop):

radius= 3.0m
mass dart = 5kg
mass sphere = 17kg

I know momentum has a part to play..
You could say P1=P2
5kg(Vd) = 22kg(Vds) (the 22 is the mass of the dart + sphere) and Vds is the final V

and now I'm stuck, do I use the radial force equation and substitute 5Vd/22 in for V? I'm still left with an Fradial value which i don't know what to do with.

Physics news on Phys.org
First figure out what the speed of the "sphere + dart" must be at the top of the motion to make it over without collapsing the thin wire. (Newton's 2nd law will help.) Then figure out what the speed must have been just after the dart embedded itself in the sphere (at the bottom of the circle). Then figure out what the speed of the dart must have been to produce such a speed in the "sphere + dart" after the collision.

bump i,m still not understand how to use Newtons second law.

FAQ: How Can Momentum and Radial Force Help Solve a Collision Problem?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to radial force?

In circular motion, an object experiences a radial force that is directed towards the center of the circle. This force changes the direction of the object's velocity, resulting in a change in momentum.

3. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's motion around a fixed point. Angular momentum takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the fixed point.

4. How does momentum affect collisions?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentum after the collision.

5. What is the role of momentum in rocket propulsion?

Rocket propulsion relies on the principle of conservation of momentum. As the rocket expels hot gas from its engines in one direction, it experiences an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling it forward.

Back