How Can NO2 Be Separated from Car Exhaust for Nitric Acid Production?

In summary: You are also looking into scrubbers and gas scrubbing technology to remove SO2/SO3 from the exhaust. Another idea is to use adsorption/elution, with two tubular beds in parallel and periodically switching the bed. Ultimately, you are looking for a way to reduce the amount of acid thrown by cars into the environment by converting NO2 into nitric acid and using it in other reactions. In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of separating NO2 from car exhaust and the potential solutions such as cooling the mixture and using a centrifuge or scrubbers. There is also mention of using adsorption/elution to remove SO2/S
Camotubi
Well i need to separate NO2 from cars exhaust to then produce nitric acid and the use it in other reaction. The problem is that i have other byproducts such as SO3 and many more, so i can't make nitric acid without producing other acids. What i was thinking is. Since NO2 have a very high boling point ( 21°C/69.8 °F) i wass plaing to cool that mixture to a lower temp than that. would NO2 fall into liquid state completely separating it from the other mixture ? and if don't any other idea? Its for my scienc proyect.(sorry for my english)

Physics news on Phys.org
SO3 is even solid at room temperature, so I fear this won't work. What other reaction do you have in mind for the second step?

I don't if it is practical, but a centrifuge may work using the gas.

DrDu said:
SO3 is even solid at room temperature, so I fear this won't work. What other reaction do you have in mind for the second step?

sorry. I was ment to say, SO2 which have a vaporization point at -10ºC.the reactions that i want to make are: convert the NO2 that i extract into nitric acid by adding water and then reacting it with amonia to produce amonium nitrate. The idea of the proyect is to reduce the amount of acid thrown by cars into the enviroment, and using it into something ( amonim nitrate is a fertilizer.)

It is perhaps impractical to apply a process at the source, which is where it would be most effective. The process requires a container (and processing equipment), which adds mass to the car, a piece of equipment that needs replenishment and/or repair, and cost.

One can look at fossil-fired plants to see what 'scrubbers' are used. For NO2, catalytic converters are used, but SO3 can 'poison' them, which is why low sulfur gasolines have been developed.

One may wish to research 'scrubbers' or gas scrubbing technology to remove SO2/SO3 from the exhaust.
http://www.banksengineering.com/scrubber.htm

Maybe adsorption/elution? You could have two tubular beds in parallel, and could be eluting one bed while adsorbing on the other. Just a thought. Sounds like it might be a little too complicated for attaching to a car. Alternately, you could just have adsorption, and periodically switch the bed, like one does with a water softener.

Chet

FAQ: How Can NO2 Be Separated from Car Exhaust for Nitric Acid Production?

1. How do you separate gases from a mixture?

One common method is through the process of fractional distillation, where the mixture is heated and the gases are separated based on their boiling points. Another method is through the use of membranes, where the gases pass through a semi-permeable barrier to separate them based on their size and polarity.

2. What factors affect the separation of gases from a mixture?

The boiling points, molecular weight, and polarity of the gases can all affect the separation process. The type of membrane used and the pressure and temperature conditions also play a role in the efficiency of the separation.

3. Can all gases be separated from a mixture?

No, not all gases can be easily separated from a mixture. Some gases have very similar properties and boiling points, making it difficult to separate them through fractional distillation. Additionally, some gases may not be affected by membranes and other separation methods due to their size or polarity.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with separating gases from a mixture?

Yes, some separation methods, such as fractional distillation, require a significant amount of energy and can contribute to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the disposal of waste products from the separation process, such as membranes, can have environmental impacts.

5. Can separating gases from a mixture be done on a large scale?

Yes, separating gases from a mixture can be done on a large scale through industrial processes. Fractional distillation and membrane separation are commonly used in industries such as petrochemicals, natural gas processing, and air separation for the production of various gases and fuels.

Back