How can partial fractions be used to solve inverse Laplace transforms?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to expand the expression L-1{(2s2+3)/(s2+3s-4)2} using partial fractions. The person attempting the solution has factored the denominator and is trying to find the values for A and B in the expansion. They are unsure if they are on the right track and are looking for guidance on how to handle double roots in the denominator. They realize they may have made a mistake in their partial fraction expansion and will review their notes to correct it.
Mark Brewer

Homework Statement

L-1{(2s2+3)/(s2+3s-4)2}

The Attempt at a Solution

I factored the denominator

f(t)=(2s2+3)/((s-1)(s+4))2

now I've tried partial fractions to get

(2s2+3)/((s-1)(s+4))2 = A/(s-1)2 + B(s+4)2

(2s2+3)=A(s+4)2 + B(s-1)2

by substitution, s=1 and s=-4

5=A(25)
A=1/5

35=B(25)
B=7/5

(1/5) 1/(s-1)2 + (7/5) 1/(s+4)2

At this point I'm not sure if I am on the right track, but I did start to see some identities that may help.

1/5 L-1{1/(s-1)2} +7/5 L-1{1/(s+4)2}

I'm starting to see a pattern for n!\sn+1 and eat

Am I on the right track, or did I go on a tangent?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to take another look at your partial fraction expansion. How do you expand when you have double roots in the denominator?

I'm not sure if splitting the roots, or can I?

sorry, I'm not sure if I can split the roots to two rationals.

Note, when I say "double roots", I mean, how do you expand into separate terms when, for instance, one of the zeroes of the denominator is squared (or cubed, etc.)?

A polynomial would then be formed, right?

Mark Brewer said:
A polynomial would then be formed, right?
You may want to look back at your old notes regarding how to expand it using partial fractions. You're missing a couple of terms in your expansion.

Okay. Thank you, I'll reply as soon as I see my mistakes.

Related to How can partial fractions be used to solve inverse Laplace transforms?

What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform.

Why is the Inverse Laplace Transform important?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations and systems of equations in the time domain by transforming them into the Laplace domain, where they can be easily manipulated. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and control systems.

What is the difference between Laplace Transform and Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the time domain to the Laplace domain. It is the inverse of the Inverse Laplace Transform, which converts a function from the Laplace domain back to the time domain.

What are the common techniques used to compute Inverse Laplace Transforms?

There are several techniques used to compute Inverse Laplace Transforms, including partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, and power series expansion. The technique used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired accuracy of the solution.

Can all functions have an Inverse Laplace Transform?

No, not all functions have an Inverse Laplace Transform. For a function to have an Inverse Laplace Transform, it must be analytic, which means it must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities in the Laplace domain. Some functions, such as those with infinite discontinuities, do not have an Inverse Laplace Transform.