How Can Plane Wave Solutions Apply in Charged Particle Interactions?

In summary, the presence of a charged particle does not affect the solutions to Maxwell's equations, as they describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields which are unaffected by the particle. However, when studying the interaction with the particle, we must take into account its effects on the fields through the use of Green's functions.
ashok vardhan
Hi all,

While I am reading interaction of atoms with radiation the following doubt came to me...While solving Maxwell equations in a charge and current free region, we get solutions for Vector potential,Electric field and so on which are plane wave solutions...However, when we study the interaction of these fields with say Hydrogen atom/any charged particle, to compute the interaction Hamiltonian we still use the same potential as before...My doubt is that when we placed an charged particle, the space is no more a charge free region..How can we still use the same old solutions of Maxwell equations for potential and carry out the computations..Am I missing any crucial point..?.Please help me in solving this doubt..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

This is a great question and one that many scientists have grappled with in the past. The key to understanding this is to remember that the solutions to Maxwell's equations are not affected by the presence of a charged particle. This is because Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which are not affected by the presence of a single charged particle.

When we study the interaction of these fields with a charged particle, we are looking at the effects of the particle on the fields, not the other way around. This means that we can still use the same solutions for the fields, as they are not affected by the presence of the particle. The only thing that changes is the boundary conditions, as now we have a charged particle in the region.

To compute the interaction Hamiltonian, we use the potential from the solutions to Maxwell's equations, but we also take into account the effects of the charged particle on the fields. This is done through the use of Green's functions, which allow us to calculate the potential at any point in space, taking into account the presence of the charged particle.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Can Plane Wave Solutions Apply in Charged Particle Interactions?

What is the concept of plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant direction of propagation and a uniform wavefront, meaning that all points on the wave have the same phase and amplitude at any given time.

How do plane waves interact with matter?

When a plane wave encounters matter, it can either be transmitted, reflected, or absorbed. The interaction depends on the properties of the material, such as its density and refractive index, as well as the angle of incidence of the wave.

What is the mathematical representation of plane waves?

Plane waves can be described using mathematical equations such as the wave equation, which relates the electric and magnetic fields of the wave, and the Helmholtz equation, which describes the propagation of the wave in a given medium.

What is the significance of plane waves in physics?

Plane waves are important in many areas of physics, including optics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. They serve as a fundamental building block for more complex wave phenomena and can be used to model and understand various physical processes.

How do plane waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike other types of waves, such as spherical or cylindrical waves, plane waves have a constant direction of propagation and a uniform wavefront, making them easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically. They also have an infinite extent in space, which simplifies their behavior in certain situations.