How Can Pulse Duration Change After Passing Through a Material?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the new pulse duration of a laser after passing through a certain material, given the material's group delay dispersion and refractive index. The equation for finding the new pulse duration is provided, as well as a discussion about the sign of the dispersion coefficient and its effect on pulse lengthening.
Voxynn
I have a laser with a short pulse duration (sub 20 fs) and i want to know how long the pulse would be after it passes through X amount of material. I don't know the refractive index of the material, but I do know its GDD over the wavelength I'm operating at.

How do I go about calculating the new pulse duration?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the group delay dispersion, it's easy to relate this to the total dispersion coefficient [tex] D_\lambda [/tex] (which is simpler to work with in this problem, in my opinion):

[tex] GDD = \frac{-2\pi c}{\lambda^2}D_\lambda [/tex]

Once you know the dispersion coefficient, the problem is a fairly simple group delay problem - if your initial pulse is 20 fs, you can find the spectral width [tex] \Delta\lambda [/tex] of your pulse:

[tex] \Delta\lambda = \frac{0.441\lambda_0^2}{c\Delta t} [/tex]

where [tex] \lambda_0 [/tex] is the average wavelength of your pulse. (The 0.441 comes from Fourier analysis and uncertainty principle, assuming a Gaussian peak - chances are you have this formula somewhere)

Now finishing up is easy. Using the two values you've just found, the spread in group delay [tex] \Delta\tau_g [/tex] is simply:

[tex] \Delta\tau_g = LD_\lambda (\Delta\lambda) [/tex]

The pulse will always lengthen, so your new pulse length is the original length plus the calculated group delay spread:

[tex] \Delta t_{new} = 20\ fs\ +\Delta\tau_g [/tex]

Hope that helps. You might have been given a simpler way to do that problem using GDD directly, but if there is such a method I'm not yet aware of it!

Thanks Gomboc.

One question though: dispersion coefficient can also be found through the equation

D(lam)= -lam/c * d2n/dlam2

where d2n is the second derivative of the material's refractive index against wavelength.
Since the second deriviative of MOST glasses & crystals is positive, the material dispersion coefficient is negative and so

broadening = D(lam)*Bandwidth

is also negative. Doesn't this suggest a SHORTENING of the pulse?

Sorry for the confusion!

Hmm. Well, the value of [tex] D_\lambda [/tex] is a continuously defined function of wavelength for all materials relative to refractive index, and most materials (if not all) have a wavelength where the group velocity reaches a minimum, and at that point the dispersion coefficient becomes positive - i.e. for glass, [tex] D_\lambda [/tex] is greater than zero for [tex] \lambda > 1.31\ \mu m [/tex].

The sign of [tex] D_\lambda [/tex] just indicates what type of dispersion takes place. For a negative value, the shorter wavelengths in a given pulse travel slower than the longer wavelengths, meaning the short wavelengths are the last to arrive. For a positive value, the opposite is true.

To conceptualize it, I just imagine the pulse as a ball of uniformly distributed red and blue specks (the uniform distribution helps me to remember that despite the pulse's [tex] \Delta\lambda [/tex], they all still enter the material at precisely the same time. Then, suppose you throw the ball through the air, knowing that the red specks will always travel slightly faster than the blue specks. When the ball lands, many of the red specks will have outpaced the initial 'ball', and many of the blue specks will have lagged behind, so obviously the time between the first red speck hitting the ground and the last blue speck must be greater than if both colours traveled at exactly the same speed. Change the sign of the dispersion coefficient, and the same analogy still works, but with the red specks lagging behind the ball and the blue specks jumping ahead of it.

The only way to actually end up with a shorter pulse would be if you were to send the slower wavelengths into the material first, followed by the faster wavelengths. Then, they would superimpose due to dispersion and come out the other end closer together. Since our pulses are of uniform wavelength "content" throughout their timespan, pulse-lengthening is always required.

To calculate the new pulse duration after passing through X amount of material, you can use the formula t2 = t1 * √(1 + (GDD * d)/λ), where t1 is the initial pulse duration, t2 is the new pulse duration, GDD is the group delay dispersion of the material, d is the thickness of the material, and λ is the operating wavelength.

To find the GDD of the material, you can use the known GDD over the operating wavelength and the refractive index of the material. The formula for GDD is GDD = (n2 - n1) * d, where n1 is the refractive index of the initial medium (air in this case) and n2 is the refractive index of the material.

Once you have calculated the new pulse duration, you can also use the formula t2 = t1 * √(1 + (GVD * d)/λ^2) to find the new pulse duration after taking into account the material's group velocity dispersion (GVD). This will give you a more accurate estimate of the pulse duration.

It is important to note that these calculations are based on assumptions and may not be exact, as the refractive index and GDD of the material may vary with the operating wavelength and other factors. It is recommended to conduct experiments to verify the calculated values.

Related to How Can Pulse Duration Change After Passing Through a Material?

What is pulse duration?

Pulse duration refers to the length of time that a pulse of energy (such as light or sound) lasts. It is typically measured in units of seconds, milliseconds, or microseconds.

How is pulse duration calculated?

Pulse duration can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles in a pulse by the frequency of the pulse. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying the pulse width by the number of pulses in a given time period.

What factors affect pulse duration?

The factors that affect pulse duration include the type of energy being used, the frequency of the pulses, and the characteristics of the medium through which the pulses are traveling.

Why is pulse duration important?

Pulse duration is important because it affects the quality and accuracy of measurements and experiments in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and physics. It can also impact the effectiveness of certain technologies, such as laser surgery or ultrasound imaging.

How is pulse duration used in scientific research?

In scientific research, pulse duration is used to study and manipulate different types of energy and their effects on various materials and systems. It is also used to measure and analyze the properties of waves and vibrations in different mediums.