How Can Reversing Digits Triple the Tens Place?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, to find the original number when only given the result after it has been multiplied or divided, divide or multiply the result by the known multiplier or divisor. This can be done using the formula: Original number = Result / Known multiplier or Original number = Result * Known divisor. However, if the multiplier or divisor is unknown, it is not possible to find the original number without more information. The original number can be a fraction or decimal as well, using the same formula. It is important to find the original number for solving equations, understanding patterns, and making predictions in mathematics and science.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
the sum of the digits of a two digit number is 6, If the digits are reversed, the new number is tree times the original tens number. find the original number.

well just playing with the numbers I got 51 as the original number since 15 is 3 times 5
but doing the problem with equations ?

I tried

$t + u = 6$
$3u = 3t$
but this not got it.

thanks ahead

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, karush!

The sum of the digits of a two-digit number is 6.
If the digits are reversed, the new number is three times the original ten's-digit.
Find the original number.

The original number is: $10t + u.$

We are told: .$t + u \,=\,6$ [1]

Also that: .$10u + t \:=\:3t \quad\Rightarrow\quad 10u \,=\,2t \quad\Rightarrow\quad t \,=\,5u$ [2]

Substitute [2] into [1]: .$5u + u \:=\:6 \quad\Rightarrow\quad 6u \,=\,6 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \boxed{u \,=\,1}$

Substiute into [2]: .$t \,=\,5(1) \quad\Rightarrow\quad \boxed{t \,=\,5}$Therefore, the original number is: .$10t + u \:=\:10(5) + 1 \:=\:51$

Related to How Can Reversing Digits Triple the Tens Place?

1. How do I find the original number if I only know the result after it has been multiplied or divided?

The original number can be found by dividing or multiplying the given result by the known multiplier or divisor. For example, if the result is 20 and the known multiplier is 5, the original number would be 20/5 = 4.

2. Is there a formula or equation to find the original number?

Yes, the formula to find the original number is: Original number = Result / Known multiplier or Original number = Result * Known divisor.

3. What if I don't know the multiplier or divisor used to get the result?

If you do not know the multiplier or divisor used, it is not possible to find the original number. More information is needed to solve the problem.

4. Can the original number be a fraction or decimal?

Yes, the original number can be a fraction or decimal. The formula to find the original number still applies. For example, if the result is 0.5 and the known multiplier is 2, the original number would be 0.5/2 = 0.25.

5. Why is it important to find the original number?

Finding the original number can provide valuable information for solving equations, understanding patterns, and making predictions. It is an essential skill in mathematics and science.