How Can Someone Learn Abstract Algebra form Harvard ?

In summary: Thank You very much, is this book the same book used in the course?!^They were using the first edition (a much prettier cover imo). Contents are not too different I think but idk about problem numbering.
Maths Lover
Hello ,

I've a question .

How Can someone Get Harvard Books on Mathematics generally and Abstract Algebra Specially ?

How Can The one Buy it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Maths Boy and welcome to the forums.

The question is: why Harvard?

There are lots of resources to learn mathematics, and many of them are top notch: you don't have to get one specific resource that will be better than everything else.

chiro said:
Hey Maths Boy and welcome to the forums.

The question is: why Harvard?

There are lots of resources to learn mathematics, and many of them are top notch: you don't have to get one specific resource that will be better than everything else.

that's right .
what is your suggestion for me ?

What background do you have? Have you taken calculus?

This question gets asked a bit and from other threads, the suggestion of taking linear algebra can help put a concrete perspective on the abstract stuff in abstract algebra.

Have you taken linear algebra?

chiro said:
What background do you have? Have you taken calculus?

This question gets asked a bit and from other threads, the suggestion of taking linear algebra can help put a concrete perspective on the abstract stuff in abstract algebra.

Have you taken linear algebra?

yes , I've Taken calculus .

I've some Linear Algebra . not much .

Sankaku said:
That particular course follows Artin's book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132413779/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You would need to be a fairly strong student to use those videos as your very first encounter with Algebra.

Thank You very much , is this book the same book used in the course ?!

Last edited by a moderator:
^They were using the first edition (a much prettier cover imo). Contents are not too different I think but idk about problem numbering.

Related to How Can Someone Learn Abstract Algebra form Harvard ?

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, in an abstract and generalized manner. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures rather than specific numbers or equations.

Why is it important to learn abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is an essential foundation for many areas of mathematics and science, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also provides a powerful framework for problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning.

Is abstract algebra difficult to learn?

Like any subject, the difficulty of learning abstract algebra depends on the individual's background, motivation, and study habits. However, it is a highly abstract and theoretical field, so it may be more challenging for some students than others.

How can someone learn abstract algebra from Harvard?

Harvard offers various courses in abstract algebra at the undergraduate and graduate levels. These courses cover topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, and Galois theory. Interested individuals can enroll in these courses through Harvard Extension School or Harvard Summer School. They can also access online resources, such as lectures, notes, and problem sets, from Harvard's Department of Mathematics website.

What are the prerequisites for learning abstract algebra from Harvard?

To learn abstract algebra from Harvard, one should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as algebra, calculus, and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of proof techniques and mathematical logic. Some courses may have specific prerequisites, so it is essential to check the course requirements before enrolling.