How can \sqrt x and \log_e x be compared using calculus?

In summary, the inequality ##\log_e x < \sqrt x## was derived using calculus. By setting ##f(x)=\sqrt x - \log_e x## and proving that it is always greater than zero, it was shown that ##\log_e x < \sqrt x## is always satisfied. This is because for the least value of ##\sqrt x##, ##\log_e x < \sqrt x## and for values greater than 4, ##\frac{1}{x} < \frac{1}{2\sqrt x}##. Therefore, there is no point of intersection for the inequality.
AdityaDev
I was going through some important points give in my textbook and I saw this:
##\log_e x < \sqrt x##
How did they get this?
I know calculus so you can show this using differentiation, etc.
One possible way is that they took
##f(x)=\sqrt x-\log_e x##
And tried to prove it is always greater than zero.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can write [itex] \sqrt x [/itex] as [itex] e^{\ln \sqrt x}=e^{\frac 1 2 \ln x} [/itex]. Now we have $$\lim_{x\to 0} \ln x=-\infty $$ and $$ \lim_{y\to -\infty} e^y=0 $$. So for the least value of [itex] \sqrt x [/itex], [itex] \ln x < \sqrt x [/itex] and because [itex] \sqrt x [/itex] is strictly increasing and [itex] \frac 1 x < \frac{1}{2\sqrt x} [/itex] for [itex] x>4 [/itex], the inequality is always satisfied.

EDIT: Looks like rewriting [itex] \sqrt{x} [/itex] wasn't necessary, but I don't change it because it may give you a feeling for the inequality.

Last edited:
Likes AdityaDev
Shyan said:
You can write [itex] \sqrt x [/itex] as [itex] e^{\ln \sqrt x}=e^{\frac 1 2 \ln x} [/itex]. Now we have $$\lim_{x\to 0} \ln x=-\infty $$ and $$ \lim_{y\to -\infty} e^y=0 $$. So for the least value of [itex] \sqrt x [/itex], [itex] \ln x < \sqrt x [/itex] and because [itex] \sqrt x [/itex] is strictly increasing and [itex] \frac 1 x < \frac{1}{2\sqrt x} [/itex] for [itex] x>4 [/itex], the inequality is always satisfied.

EDIT: Looks like rewriting [itex] \sqrt{x} [/itex] wasn't necessary, but I don't change it because it may give you a feeling for the inequality.
For x<4 why can't there be a point of intersection? You haven't specified what happens for x<4
I understood everything else. Thanks for the reply.

AdityaDev said:
For x<4 why can't there be a point of intersection? You haven't specified what happens for x<4
I understood everything else. Thanks for the reply.
When [itex] x \to 0 [/itex], we have [itex] \sqrt x=0 [/itex] and [itex] \ln x \to -\infty [/itex]. In the interval [itex] (0,4] [/itex], [itex] \ln x [/itex] increases faster than [itex] \sqrt x [/itex], but that slight excess can't make up for the huge gap in such a small interval.

Check the derivatives - if one derivative is smaller than another and the initial values are different then you have shown that one is always smaller than the other provided this requirement is met.

FAQ: How can \sqrt x and \log_e x be compared using calculus?

1. What does the function "Ln(x) less than root(x)" mean?

The function "Ln(x) less than root(x)" refers to the relationship between the natural logarithm of a number (Ln(x)) and the square root of that same number (root(x)). It is a comparison between the two values and their respective rates of growth.

2. How do I graph "Ln(x) less than root(x)"?

To graph "Ln(x) less than root(x)", you will need to first plot points on a coordinate plane using different values for x. Then, using the values for Ln(x) and root(x) at each point, plot the corresponding points on the same graph. The resulting curve will show the relationship between the two functions.

3. What is the domain and range of "Ln(x) less than root(x)"?

The domain of "Ln(x) less than root(x)" is all positive real numbers. This means that any positive number can be plugged into the function and a value will be returned. The range of the function is also all positive real numbers, as both Ln(x) and root(x) are always positive for positive values of x.

4. How is "Ln(x) less than root(x)" used in real life?

The function "Ln(x) less than root(x)" is used in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is commonly used to model rates of growth, such as population growth or radioactive decay. It can also be used to calculate the efficiency of certain processes, as the natural logarithm often represents the rate of decrease.

5. Is there a specific formula for "Ln(x) less than root(x)"?

No, there is not a specific formula for "Ln(x) less than root(x)". The relationship between the two functions can be represented by a graph, but there is no single equation that can accurately describe it. However, there are various mathematical techniques that can be used to approximate the values of both Ln(x) and root(x) and compare them.

Back