How can Stoke's theorem be applied to vector fields?

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the vector identity states that:\oint _C f\vec{v} . \vec{dr} = \int \int _S (\nabla \times \vec{v}) . \vec{dS}
yoghurt54

Homework Statement

[tex] \nabla \times f \vec{v} = f (\nabla \times \vec{v}) + ( \nabla f) \times \vec{v} [/tex]

Use with Stoke's theorem

[tex] \oint _C \vec{A} . \vec{dr} = \int \int _S (\nabla \times \vec{A}) . \vec{dS} [/tex]

to show that

[tex] \oint _c f \vec{dr} = \int \int _S \vec{dS} \times \nabla f[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think the only that you really need to know is the the scalar triple product.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I allowed

[tex] \vec{A} = f \vec{v} [/tex]

And subsituted into Stokes' theorem

[tex] \oint _C f\vec{v} . \vec{dr} = \int \int _S (\nabla \times f \vec{v}) . \vec{dS} [/tex]

which gives

[tex] \oint _C f\vec{v} . \vec{dr} = \int \int _S f ((\nabla \times \vec{v}) + ( \nabla f) \times \vec{v} ). \vec{dS} [/tex]

My problem is that I got to this stage, and thought that this would work really great if

[tex] \nabla \times \vec{v} = 0 [/tex].

So I got stuck on this for a while, looked at my textbook, and they said that we let

[tex] \vec{A} = f \vec{v} [/tex] where [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] is a CONSTANT VECTOR.

Hence, the curl of a constant vector is zero, and the RHS becomes

[tex] \int \int _S f ( \nabla f) \times \vec{v} ). \vec{dS} [/tex]

which we rearrange with the triple scalar product identity to give

[tex] \int \int _S f ( \vec{dS} \times \nabla f) ) .\vec{v} [/tex]

So now the thing looks like this:

[tex] \oint _C f\vec{v} . \vec{dr} = \int \int _S f ( \vec{dS} \times \nabla f) ) .\vec{v}
[/tex]

and cancelling [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] from both sides as it's constant, gives us:

[tex] \oint _c f \vec{dr} = \int \int _S \vec{dS} \times \nabla f[/tex]

The problem

My problem is that this restricts the kind of vector field [tex] \vec{A} [/tex] can be, as it has to be a product of some function times a constant vector.

Does this make the derived identity non-universal, or is this a necessary step in order to arrive at the identity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yoghurt54 said:
My problem is that this restricts the kind of vector field [tex] \vec{A} [/tex] can be, as it has to be a product of some function times a constant vector.

Does this make the derived identity non-universal, or is this a necessary step in order to arrive at the identity?

The vector identity you proved involves only [itex]f[/itex]. So, who cares what you restricted [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] to be? The identity is valid for any scalar function [itex]f[/itex], and that's all you were asked to prove.

Yeah you're right. I don't know why I got hung up on this, I guess I was reading too much into it.

FAQ: How can Stoke's theorem be applied to vector fields?

1. What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stokes Theorem used in real life?

Stokes Theorem is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the circulation of electric and magnetic fields.

3. What is the difference between Stokes Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which only applies to 2-dimensional surfaces. Stokes Theorem can be applied to any surface in 3-dimensional space.

4. How is Stokes Theorem related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used to evaluate definite integrals, while Stokes Theorem is used to relate surface integrals to line integrals. However, both theorems involve the concept of integration and are fundamental in calculus and vector calculus.

5. Can Stokes Theorem be applied to non-conservative vector fields?

Yes, Stokes Theorem can be applied to both conservative and non-conservative vector fields. However, in the case of non-conservative vector fields, the result may not be as useful as in the case of conservative fields.

Back