How can the surface area of a sphere be derived using integration of circles?

In summary: You can then use this to set up your integral in terms of ##\theta##.In summary, the surface area of a sphere can be derived by approximating the sphere as a series of cylindrical elements and integrating their surface areas. However, in order to accurately represent the spherical shape, the height of the cylindrical elements should be approximated by the arc length along the sphere, given by ##\mathrm{d s} = r\mathrm{d \theta}##.
meemoe_uk

Homework Statement

Derive the formula for surface area of a sphere using integration of circles

Homework Equations

Need to get : S = 4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a sphere of radius r centred on the origin of a 3D space. Let y be an axis thru the origin. The sphere can be sliced into a row of circles with the y-axis at their centres. Consider one of these circles. The circumference c of the circle depends on it centre's distance from the origin such that
c = 2πr cos θ , where θ is the angle from the origin between the (x,z) plane to any point on the circle's circumference. r cosθ is the radius of the circle.

For -r to r, y= r sinθ
The Integration the circles circumferences along y from -r to r is
2πr cos θ ∫dy
Since y = r sinθ, then dy / dθ = r cosθ , so dy = r cos θ dθ
so the integration formula is
2πr2 ∫ (cos θ)2

I don't get the right formula from that integral.
There's something wrong with my setting up the integral. I can't see what though. Please give me a hint or two.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
meemoe_uk said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Consider a sphere of radius r centred on the origin of a 3D space. Let y be an axis thru the origin. The sphere can be sliced into a row of circles with the y-axis at their centres. Consider one of these circles. The circumference c of the circle depends on it centre's distance from the origin such that
c = 2πr cos θ , where θ is the angle from the origin between the (x,z) plane to any point on the circle's circumference. r cosθ is the radius of the circle.

For -r to r, y= r sinθ
2πr cos θ ∫dy
The problem is in this last step. You're using ##dA = 2\pi r \cos \theta\,dy##, but that's only good when ##\theta \approx 0##, where a strip of the sphere looks like a piece of a cylinder. As you near the top and bottom of the sphere, the strip becomes flatter and flatter. Its area is no longer well approximated by that of cylinder of radius r cos θ and height dy.

2πr2 ∫ (cos θ)2

There's something wrong with my setting up the integral. I can't see what though. Please give me a hint or two.

thks. Looks like I was hoping the circles would sort themselves out. Now I think I need to start by approximating a slice of the sphere as a frustum. The lower limit ( no min element ) of frustum of height h is a circle, and an array of frustums can approximate a sphere.

meemoe_uk said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

For -r to r, y= r sinθ
2πr cos θ ∫dy
2πr2 ∫ (cos θ)2

If I understand your attempt correctly, you're basically summing the surface area of open cylindrical elements with radius ##r\cos\theta## and an infinitesimal height.

Unfortunately, the element you used for the height is not correct. I suggest you use the arc length along the sphere given by ##\mathrm{d s} = r\mathrm{d \theta}## as a better approximation for the height of the cylindrical element.

Related to How can the surface area of a sphere be derived using integration of circles?

1. What is circle to sphere integration?

Circle to sphere integration is a mathematical process that involves calculating the area or volume of a circle or sphere. It is often used in fields such as physics and engineering to solve problems related to curved surfaces.

2. How is circle to sphere integration different from regular integration?

The main difference between circle to sphere integration and regular integration is that circle to sphere integration deals specifically with curved surfaces, while regular integration can be used for any type of function or shape. Additionally, circle to sphere integration often requires the use of specialized formulas and techniques.

3. What are some real-world applications of circle to sphere integration?

Circle to sphere integration has many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank or the surface area of a curved roof. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics and animation to create realistic 3D shapes and objects.

4. What are some common challenges in circle to sphere integration?

One of the main challenges in circle to sphere integration is determining the correct formula or method to use for a specific problem. Another challenge can be dealing with complex or irregularly shaped surfaces, which may require advanced techniques or approximations.

5. How can I improve my skills in circle to sphere integration?

To improve your skills in circle to sphere integration, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic calculus and geometry. Practicing with different types of problems and using a variety of integration techniques can also help improve your skills. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or taking a course in calculus or engineering can also be beneficial.