How can the surface tension of a spherical balloon affect its radius over time?

The key point is that the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the balloon must balance the surface tension forces which act on the spherical surface. The surface tension force is ##F_{ST} = 4 \pi k r## where ##r## is the radius of the sphere. This force acts to reduce the surface area of the sphere and thus tends to make the balloon deflate. In order to keep the balloon inflated, the pressure inside the balloon must exceed the pressure outside the balloon by an amount ##\Delta P = \frac{4 k}{r}##. This pressure difference then produces a force which exactly cancels the surface tension force. This is the origin of the relation ##\Delta P =
member 428835

Homework Statement

Consider the process of blowing up a spherical balloon. Measurements indicate that the “surface tension” of the balloon material is ##k## (assumed constant here with units of force per unit length). Assuming that an air compressor used to blow up the balloon can deliver a constant mass flow rate of air of ##\dot{m}## , plot the balloon radius, ##r_b##, as a function of time assuming ##r_b(t) = 0##.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is $$\frac{4 \pi}{3} \left. r_b' \right.^2(2+r_b') = t'\\
r_b'=r_b\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\\
t' = t \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho_{atm}}\left(\frac{\rho_{atm} R T}{}k\right)^3$$

But I'm not sure how to arrive there. I was thinking $$m = \rho V = \rho \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \implies \dot{m} = \rho 4 \pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}$$. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should describe the physics you plan to use ... note: you last string of maths appears to assume that the density (of air inside the balloon?) is a constant.
If so, you should probably revisit that assumption.

Hi, I think that
joshmccraney said:
r′b=rbρatmrTk

is ##r_{b}\frac{\rho_{atm}RT}{k}## and that in the equation:

joshmccraney said:
t′=t˙mρatm(ρatmRTk)3

the ##k## is in the denominator. I think you must remember also the relation between the pressure and the ray of the balloon ##\Delta P=\frac{4k}{r}##, and a question I suppose that ##t## is the time and ##r_{b}## the radius but ##t',r_{b}'## what are in your notation?

Simon Bridge said:
You should describe the physics you plan to use ... note: you last string of maths appears to assume that the density (of air inside the balloon?) is a constant.
If so, you should probably revisit that assumption.
How would I know (intuitively) that density is not constant? I thought volume would increase do to constant density. At any rate, we then have $$\dot{m} = \frac{d\rho}{dt} \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3+\rho 4 \pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}$$
But I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
Ssnow said:
Hi, I think thatis ##r_{b}\frac{\rho_{atm}RT}{k}## and that in the equation:
the ##k## is in the denominator.
Yes, you are right, I'm sorry for the typos! The correct answer is

$$r_b'=r_b\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\\
t' = t \frac{\dot{m}}{\rho_{atm}}\left(\frac{\rho_{atm} r T}{k}\right)^3$$

where ##t'## and ##r_b'## are non dimensional parameters for time and radius.
Ssnow said:
I think you must remember also the relation between the pressure and the ray of the balloon ##\Delta P=\frac{4k}{r}##
Where did you get this formula? It definitely seems relevant.

For what it's worth, this question isn't homework (I just posted it here because this seemed appropriate). The question is from this site I found for practice problems:
https://engineering.purdue.edu/~wassgren/notes/COM_PracticeProblems.pdf
and it's problem 23.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I think that ##\frac{r_{b}'}{r_{b}}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{k}## is another way to write ##\frac{1}{r}=\frac{\Delta P}{4k}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{4k}## using the law that I told you before ...

I am curious on these problems, your link doesn't work on my pc do you have another link ?

Hi

How would I know (intuitively) that density is not constant?
You know that gasses are compressible, that the balloon is elastic, and that you are adding air to the balloon. Is there any reason to assume that the air density inside the balloon is constant?
To handle it you need to know the relationship between particle number, density, and pressure the gas exerts.
That is why I said you should describe the physics you plan to use.

Ssnow said:
yes, I think that ##\frac{r_{b}'}{r_{b}}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{k}## is another way to write ##\frac{1}{r}=\frac{\Delta P}{4k}=\frac{\rho_{atm}rT}{4k}## using the law that I told you before ...

I am curious on these problems, your link doesn't work on my pc do you have another link ?

Hi
Thanks! And not sure why the link doesn't work? Anyways, here's the main website I found the problem from:
https://engineering.purdue.edu/~wassgren/notes/
Simon Bridge said:
You know that gasses are compressible, that the balloon is elastic, and that you are adding air to the balloon. Is there any reason to assume that the air density inside the balloon is constant?
To handle it you need to know the relationship between particle number, density, and pressure the gas exerts.
That is why I said you should describe the physics you plan to use.
Yea, I see what you're saying now about describing the physics.

I thought it would not compress because volume would expand before compressing the fluid. I'll try to apply what you both have said when I get a chance and see if I can get the solution.

Ssnow said:
I think you must remember also the relation between the pressure and the ray of the balloon ##\Delta P=\frac{4k}{r}##
This equation is appropriate for a bubble which is modeled as a thin spherical shell which has both an inner spherical surface and an outer spherical surface. See here for a derivation:

You will need to modify this for the case of the balloon which is treated as having only one elastic spherical surface.

Related to How can the surface tension of a spherical balloon affect its radius over time?

What is the "Spherical Balloon Problem"?

The Spherical Balloon Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the maximum volume of a spherical balloon that can fit through a given hole or gap.

What is the significance of this problem?

This problem has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and manufacturing, where it is important to know the maximum size of an object that can pass through a given opening.

What are the factors that affect the solution to this problem?

The solution to the Spherical Balloon Problem is affected by the size and shape of the opening, as well as the elasticity of the balloon material.

What is the general solution to this problem?

The general solution to the Spherical Balloon Problem involves using calculus to find the maximum volume of a sphere that can fit through a given opening. This can be achieved by finding the derivative of the volume function and setting it equal to zero.

Are there any real-world examples of this problem?

Yes, the Spherical Balloon Problem is often encountered in real-world situations, such as determining the maximum size of a ball that can fit through a pipe or the maximum size of a spacecraft that can fit through a launch pad.