How can the wave equation be rearranged to include r?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rearrangement of the wave equation in spherical coordinates and finding solutions using the resulting formula. The participants also discuss the product rule and its application in showing that partial derivatives of the solution also solve the wave equation. The conversation also touches on the general solution for the product ##r\phi## and the use of trigonometric functions in the process.
Botttom
Hello!

The wave equation given: [itex]{1\over{c^2}} {\partial^2 \phi\over{\partial t^2}} = \Delta \phi [/itex] with [itex] r = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/itex] needs to be rearranged, so that [itex]{1\over{c^2}} {\partial^2 ( r \phi) \over{\partial t^2}} = {\partial^2 (r \phi) \over{\partial r^2}} [/itex].

Are there any tricks to obtain this result?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is only possible if you have a wave which does not depend on the angular coordinates in spherical coordinates, i.e., a spherical wave. Then you need express the Laplace operator in spherical coordinates.

Yes, this works!

Is it possible to find solutions using the second formula?

Thanks!

it sure is but you're going to need to specify some initial conditions otherwise your solution can be any periodic function whatsoever that solves the wave equation...

I would like to show, that if [itex] \phi [/itex] is a solution to the equation than each partial derivative of [itex] \phi [/itex] is also a solution.
I am failing to show that just by plugging the derivative in. How can i do that?

The product rule should give you this result

Do you mean product rule in this formula>?
[itex]{1\over{c^2}} {\partial^2 ( r \phi) \over{\partial t^2}} = {\partial^2 (r \phi) \over{\partial r^2}} [/itex].

could you link the exact wording of the question?
without actually doing it my intuition suggests that to check that a partial derivative of phi solves the equation, make the substitution $$\phi \rightarrow \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial r}$$
or $$\phi \rightarrow \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t}$$
and then apply the product rule.

Last edited:
The question is to show, that if [itex]\phi[/itex] solves the equation [itex]{1\over{c^2}} {\partial^2 ( r \phi) \over{\partial t^2}} = {\partial^2 (r \phi) \over{\partial r^2}} [/itex]
than so should every partial derivative $$\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x }, \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y }, \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z }, \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t }.$$
And it seems that the product rule has to be applied here for more than 20 times, but i still don't get the result.

maybe write the general solution for the product ##r\phi## then take derivatives?

Yes, but the general solution is not known in this case

The general solution is ##\phi = \frac{Au(r-ct)}{r} + \frac{Bv(r+ct)}{r} ##

Perhaps I have misunderstood the problem but anyway. Since r is independent the partial derivative of ##\phi## with time is obviously a solution.
## \partial^{2}_{t}(r\partial_{t}\phi) = \partial_{t}(\partial_{t}^{2} (r\phi)) = \partial^{2}_{r}(r\partial_{t}\phi) = \partial_{t}(\partial_{r}^{2} (r\phi)) ##. Now do the same with the other partial derivatives. I think we get something along the lines of ## \partial_{t}^{2}(\cos(\theta)\phi) = \partial_{r}^{2}(\cos(\theta)\phi) ## in 2 dimensions.

Well , yes the part with the time derivative is obvious. The other part is not.
Why would there be a cosine(theta) ?

It would be from ## \partial_{x}r = \cos(\phi) ##. Isn't that correct?

oh you mean $${\partial r\over {\partial x}} = {x \over r} = {r \cos(\theta) \over {r}} $$

FAQ: How can the wave equation be rearranged to include r?

1. What is the wave equation used for?

The wave equation is a mathematical representation of how waves behave and propagate through a medium. It is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and seismology, to describe the behavior of waves and predict their movement.

2. How do you rearrange the wave equation?

To rearrange the wave equation, you need to isolate the variables you are interested in. This can be done by applying algebraic operations, such as multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, on both sides of the equation. The goal is to have the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation and all other variables on the other side.

3. What is the purpose of rearranging the wave equation?

Rearranging the wave equation allows you to solve for different variables and understand how they affect the wave's behavior. It also helps in making predictions and analyzing the properties of waves in different scenarios.

4. What are the common variables in the wave equation?

The common variables in the wave equation include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, wave speed, and time. These variables represent different characteristics of a wave, such as its size, energy, and movement.

5. Are there any limitations to rearranging the wave equation?

While rearranging the wave equation can provide valuable insights, it is limited by certain assumptions and simplifications. For example, it assumes a linear and uniform medium, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that can affect wave behavior, such as damping and interference.