How can the wave speed of a rope with negligible stiffness be determined?

In summary, the problem is about a rope of length L that is attached to the ceiling and struck sharply from the bottom at t=0. The rope has negligible stiffness, and the goal is to determine how long it would take for the wave to travel up the string and back down. The velocity of the wave will vary due to the varying tension in the rope, which can be calculated using the distance from the bottom of the rope and the linear mass density. The wave equation should be used to solve this problem, but the exact application is unclear. The role of gravity in this problem is important as it contributes to the tension in the rope. However, there are no figures provided to compare the magnitude of the tension caused by the strike and
Corneo
Hi I am working on a certain homework problem and I would appreciate some hint or inputs.

A rope, of length [itex]L[/itex], is attached to the ceiling and struck from the bottom at [itex]t=0[/itex]. The rope has negible stiffness, how long would it take for the wave to travel up the string and back down?

I have worked on the problem for a while and concluded that the velocity will vary because tension in the rope varies as you travel along the medium.

Tension, [itex]T[/itex], can be written as the distance from the bottom of the rope. That is [itex]T(x)=x \mu g[/itex], [itex]x[/itex] is the distance measured from the bottom of the rope; and [itex]\mu=m/L[/itex] is the linear mass density.

This is where I am lost. I think the wave equation is where I should start off, but not sure how to apply it to this problem

[tex]\frac {\partial ^2 y }{\partial t^2} = v^2 \frac {\partial ^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac {T(x)}{\mu} \frac {\partial ^2 y}{\partial x^2}= \frac {x \mu g}{\mu} \frac {\partial ^2 y}{\partial x^2} = x g \frac {\partial ^2 y}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Any hints or inputs would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really think the gravitational force plays an important role in this problem?. You mentioned the rope is "struck". How about the magnitude of the strike?. I'm lost because you don't mention about it again. If you have the figures, compare the magnitude of the tension caused by the strike and the tension you've just calculated above.

I do think that gravitational force plays a part in this problem since it attributes to the tension in the rope. At the bottom of the rope there is no tension and at the top of the rope the tension is the greatest.

Do you have figures to compare?. For example, How long is the rope?

Moreover, What is the value of the force or the external interaction applied at the bottom as you said :

corneo said:
...and struck from the bottom at ...

No there are no figures. I paraphrase the question and it actually reads "struck sharply from the bottom". The length is still L.

What is causing the wave propagation?. The simple action of gravity cannot cause the wave propagation. There have to be another external force at the bottom. Post your boundary conditions.

Related to How can the wave speed of a rope with negligible stiffness be determined?

What is non-constant wave speed?

Non-constant wave speed refers to a situation where the speed of a wave changes as it travels through a medium. This can occur due to variations in the properties of the medium, such as density or temperature, or due to interactions with other waves.

How is non-constant wave speed different from constant wave speed?

Constant wave speed means that the speed of a wave remains the same as it travels through a medium. In contrast, non-constant wave speed means that the speed of the wave changes at different points in the medium.

What factors can affect non-constant wave speed?

The properties of the medium, such as density, temperature, and state of matter, can affect non-constant wave speed. Additionally, interactions with other waves or obstacles in the medium can also cause variations in wave speed.

What are some examples of non-constant wave speed?

An example of non-constant wave speed is when sound waves travel through air, which has varying density due to changes in temperature. Another example is when ocean waves encounter a change in water depth, causing their speed to change.

How do scientists study non-constant wave speed?

Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to study non-constant wave speed. They may also use equipment such as oscilloscopes to measure the speed of waves in different mediums and conditions.