How Can Triangle Inequality Be Applied in Complex Mathematical Proofs?

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the Triangle Inequality can be used to show that ||a| - |b|| \leq |a+b| by replacing b with -b. For the second problem, the first part can be proven by using induction and the second part can be solved using the Triangle Inequality and the inductive hypothesis.
BustedBreaks
1) By writing a = (a+b) + (-b) use the Triangle Inequality to obtain |a| - |b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a+b|. Then interchange a and b to show that ||a| - |b|| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a+b|.

The replace b by -b to obtain ||a| - |b|| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b|.

Okay. I am a bit lost.

I started out by plugging in what they give me for a in the first line into the Triangle Inequality, but that just reduces back to the Triangle Inequality.

I'm just not sure where to start.

2) Let n be a natural number and [tex]a_{1}, a_{2}, ... a_{n} [/tex]be positive numbers. Prove that [tex] (1+a_{1})(1+a_{2})+...+(1+a_{n}) \geq 1+a_{1}+a_{2}+...+a_{n}.[/tex]

and that

[tex](a_{1}+a_{2}+...+a_{n})(a_{1}^{-1}+a_{2}^{-1}+...+a_{n}^{-1}) \geq n^{2})[/tex]

For the first part of this problem I started out by expanding [tex](1+a_{1})(1+a_{2})+...+(1+a_{n})[/tex] for n = 3 and noticed that it would cancel all the terms on the right side making it a bunch of terms greater than or equal to zero, I just couldn't generalize it for n and n+1.

I haven't started on the second part yet.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BustedBreaks said:
1) By writing a = (a+b) + (-b) use the Triangle Inequality to obtain |a| - |b| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a+b|. Then interchange a and b to show that ||a| - |b|| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a+b|.

The replace b by -b to obtain ||a| - |b|| [tex]\leq[/tex] |a - b|.
Okay. I am a bit lost.

I started out by plugging in what they give me for a in the first line into the Triangle Inequality, but that just reduces back to the Triangle Inequality. I'm just not sure where to start.

|a+b+(-b)| = |(a-b) + b| <= |a-b| + |b|

Can you see how to finish that off?
2) Let n be a natural number and [tex]a_{1}, a_{2}, ... a_{n} [/tex]be positive numbers. Prove that [tex] (1+a_{1})(1+a_{2})+...+(1+a_{n}) \geq 1+a_{1}+a_{2}+...+a_{n}.[/tex]

and that

[tex](a_{1}+a_{2}+...+a_{n})(a_{1}^{-1}+a_{2}^{-1}+...+a_{n}^{-1}) \geq n^{2})[/tex]
For the first part of this problem I started out by expanding [tex](1+a_{1})(1+a_{2})+...+(1+a_{n})[/tex] for n = 3 and noticed that it would cancel all the terms on the right side making it a bunch of terms greater than or equal to zero, I just couldn't generalize it for n and n+1.

I haven't started on the second part yet.

Do it by induction. If the result holds for n terms, does it hold for n+1? (1+a1)*...*(a+an+1) = (1+a2)...(1+an)*1 + (1+a2)...(1+an)*an+1. Use the inductive hypothesis after doing this distribution

FAQ: How Can Triangle Inequality Be Applied in Complex Mathematical Proofs?

1. What is the purpose of Two Analysis questions?

The purpose of Two Analysis questions is to gather information and analyze data in order to draw conclusions and make informed decisions. They are commonly used in the scientific method to test hypotheses and evaluate experiments.

2. What types of data can be analyzed using Two Analysis questions?

Two Analysis questions can be used to analyze both qualitative and quantitative data. Qualitative data is descriptive information that cannot be measured, while quantitative data is numerical and can be measured.

3. How do you formulate Two Analysis questions?

To formulate Two Analysis questions, you first need to identify the problem or topic you want to investigate. Then, you need to determine what type of data you will need to collect and how you will collect it. Finally, you can use this information to create specific and measurable questions that will help you reach your research goals.

4. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when using Two Analysis questions?

One common pitfall to avoid when using Two Analysis questions is asking leading questions, which can bias the results. It is also important to ensure that your questions are clear and unambiguous, and that they are relevant and focused on your research goals.

5. How do you analyze the results of Two Analysis questions?

The analysis of results from Two Analysis questions can vary depending on the type of data collected. For qualitative data, common methods of analysis include coding and thematic analysis. For quantitative data, statistical analysis such as mean, median, and standard deviation can be used to interpret the results. It is also important to compare the results to your initial research goals and draw conclusions based on the data.