How Can Trigonometry Help Find an Obtuse Angle in a Circle Sector?

In summary, we have a sector of a circle with a chord subtended from A to B. The area of the triangle formed by this chord and the center of the circle is 8cm2, and the angle at the center of the circle is θ radians. Given that the angle AOB is obtuse, we need to find the value of θ. By using the sin function, we can find that θ is approximately equal to π-0.694 radians. This is an obtuse angle, as desired.
Needhelp2
A sector of a circle, let's say AOB with circle centre O and radius 5cm has a chord subtended from A to B. This chord forms a triangle with centre 0. Angle 0 isθradians, and the area of triangle A0B is 8cm2. Given that angle AOB is obtuse, findθ.

I worked out Sin-1(0.64)= 0.694, but this is not an obtuse angle and I don't know how to finish the problem (Sadface) any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• diagram for maths.png
    diagram for maths.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You never learned how to solve for angles? (Wondering)

Let's say sin(x) = 0.5

Then, the critical value of x is $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$

The values of x will be = $\dfrac{\pi}{6}$, $\pi - \dfrac{\pi}{6}$, $\dfrac{\pi}{6} + 2\pi$, $3\pi - \dfrac{\pi}{6}$, etc

For sine, the values are in the 1st and 2nd quadrant, for tan, 1st and 3rd quadrant, and for cos, 1st and 4th quadrant.

Needhelp said:
A sector of a circle, let's say AOB with circle centre O and radius 5cm has a chord subtended from A to B. This chord forms a triangle with centre 0. Angle 0 isθradians, and the area of triangle A0B is 8cm2. Given that angle AOB is obtuse, findθ.

I worked out Sin-1(0.64)= 0.694, but this is not an obtuse angle and I don't know how to finish the problem (Sadface) any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

You are looking for the solutions of \(\sin(\theta))=0.64\). If you sketch the \(\sin\) curve you will see that for \(\theta\) in the range \(0\) to \(2\pi\) you have a solution at about \(\theta=0.694\), and another at \(\theta=\pi-0.694\). The first of these is an acute angle (about 36.6 degrees) and the other obtuse.

CB

Last edited:
thank you! I did know how to solve equations using sin and cos etc, but I didnt realize I could bring that knowledge to solve this problem!

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. Firstly, let's review the applications of trigonometry in this scenario. Trigonometry is the branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. In this case, we have a sector of a circle, which can be thought of as a triangle with one curved side. The chord subtended from A to B creates an additional triangle within the sector. Trigonometry can be used to calculate the angles and sides of these triangles.

Now, let's address the specific problem at hand. We are given the area of triangle A0B and the radius of the circle, which can help us find the length of the chord. We can use the formula for the area of a triangle, A = 1/2 * base * height, to find the length of the chord. In this case, the base is the length of the chord, and the height is the distance from the center of the circle to the chord. Using the given area of 8cm2 and the radius of 5cm, we can solve for the length of the chord to be 8cm.

Next, we can use the Law of Cosines to find the angle AOB. The Law of Cosines states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c and opposite angles A, B, and C, the following equation holds true: c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab * cos(C). In our case, we know the lengths of sides a and b (5cm and 8cm, respectively) and we can solve for the angle AOB to be approximately 1.23 radians.

Finally, we can use the Law of Sines to find the angle θ. The Law of Sines states that for a triangle with sides a, b, and c and opposite angles A, B, and C, the following equation holds true: sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c. We know the lengths of sides a and b, and we just solved for the angle AOB. Therefore, we can plug in these values to solve for the angle θ to be approximately 0.694 radians.

It is important to note that the angle θ may have multiple solutions, as the Law of Sines allows for a triangle to have two possible angles with the same sine value. However, based on the

FAQ: How Can Trigonometry Help Find an Obtuse Angle in a Circle Sector?

1. What are some real-life applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, architecture, and navigation. Some examples of its applications include measuring heights and distances, calculating angles and forces in structures, and predicting the movement of objects in space.

2. How is trigonometry used in computer graphics and animation?

Trigonometry plays a crucial role in computer graphics and animation by helping to create realistic 3D images and animations. It is used to calculate the angles and distances between objects, as well as determining the shape and position of objects in a scene.

3. Can trigonometry be used in music and sound engineering?

Yes, trigonometry is used in music and sound engineering to analyze sound waves and frequencies. It is also used to calculate the positioning of speakers and microphones for optimal sound quality in a room.

4. How is trigonometry used in surveying and mapping?

In surveying and mapping, trigonometry is used to measure and calculate distances, angles, and elevations. This is particularly useful in creating accurate maps and charts for navigation and land surveying.

5. What are some examples of everyday situations where trigonometry is used?

Trigonometry is used in everyday situations such as determining the height of a building or tree, calculating the distance between two points, and finding the angle of elevation for a ladder or staircase. It is also used in sports like golf and baseball to calculate the trajectory of a ball.

Back