How Can Understanding Displacement vs. Distance Help Solve Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation focused on different problems involving distance and displacement. The first problem involved an airplane flying from city A to city C through city B, and the questions asked about the distance and direction of city C from city A. The second problem involved a figure skater gliding along a circular path and the questions asked about the magnitude of displacement and distance traveled. The final problem involved a quarterback running and throwing a football, and the question asked about the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement. Diagrams were also emphasized as helpful tools to visualize the situations.
Girl@NCSU
I've tried several problems similar to these where I could get the answer checked without locking me out of my homework attempts, but I'm not really understanding what to do at all here - any and all help would be appreciated.

An airplane flies 200 km due west from city A to city B and then 275 km in the direction of 31.5° north of west from city B to city C.
(a) In straight-line distance, how far is city C from city A?
km

(b) Relative to city A, in what direction is city C?
° north of west

(c) Why is the answer only approximately correct?

2.A figure skater glides along a circular path of radius 5.00 m.
(a) If she coasts around one half of the circle, find the magnitude of the displacement vector.
m

(b) If she coasts around one half of the circle, find what distance she skated.
m

(c) What is the magnitude of the displacement if she skates all the way around the circle?
m

3. A quarterback takes the ball from the line of scrimmage, runs backwards for 11.0 yards, then runs sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 21.0 yards. At this point, he throws a 60.0-yard forward pass straight downfield, perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. What is the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement?
yd

Physics news on Phys.org
Girl@NCSU said:
I've tried several problems similar to these where I could get the answer checked without locking me out of my homework attempts, but I'm not really understanding what to do at all here - any and all help would be appreciated. An airplane flies 200 km due west from city A to city B and then 275 km in the direction of 31.5° north of west from city B to city C.
(a) In straight-line distance, how far is city C from city A?
km

(b) Relative to city A, in what direction is city C?
° north of west

(c) Why is the answer only approximately correct?

2.A figure skater glides along a circular path of radius 5.00 m.
(a) If she coasts around one half of the circle, find the magnitude of the displacement vector.
m

(b) If she coasts around one half of the circle, find what distance she skated.
m

(c) What is the magnitude of the displacement if she skates all the way around the circle?
m

3. A quarterback takes the ball from the line of scrimmage, runs backwards for 11.0 yards, then runs sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 21.0 yards. At this point, he throws a 60.0-yard forward pass straight downfield, perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. What is the magnitude of the football's resultant displacement?
yd

The emphasis/basis of these seems to be the distinction between distance covered and displacement.

Your displacement in the period 5:00 am yesterday to 5:00 am today was probably zero: - you were in your bed at both times, however the distance you covered during that 24 hour period was probably several kilometres at least.EDIT: and in each case draw a diagram of the situation!

Related to How Can Understanding Displacement vs. Distance Help Solve Physics Problems?

1. What are the fundamental principles of physics?

The fundamental principles of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the theory of relativity. These principles help explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do I solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved. Break down the problem into smaller parts and use the appropriate formulas to solve each part. Practice and repetition can also improve problem-solving skills in physics.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position. It includes both speed and direction. Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be caused by a change in speed, direction, or both.

4. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. This force causes objects to be attracted to one another and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

5. Why is physics important?

Physics is a fundamental science that helps us understand the natural world and how it works. It has practical applications in many industries, including engineering, medicine, and technology. In addition, studying physics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.