How Can We Calculate Displacement and Average Velocity for a Complex Trip?

In summary, the conversation involved determining the displacement of a car traveling north at 40mi/h for 10 mins, then turning east and going 5 mins at 60mi/h, and finally traveling southwest at 30mi/h for 6 mins. The x-component displacement was found to be 2.88mi and the y-component displacement was found to be 4.58mi. The purpose of the conversation was to calculate the displacement and average velocity of the car's trip. The conversation also briefly mentioned an unrelated topic of saving the Earth from an asteroid.
negation

Homework Statement

A car drives north at 40mi/h for 10mins then turns east and goes 5min at 60mi/hr. Finally it goes southwest at 30mi/h for 6min.
a) determine the displacement
b)average velocity for this trip

The Attempt at a Solution

x-component: 60mi/hr/60min x 5min = 5mi
y-component: 40mi/h/60min x 10mins = 6.7mi

south-west:
x-component:[(-30mi/hr cos 45°)/60mins]6min = -2.12mi
y-component: [(-30mi/hr sin 45°)/60mins]6min = -2.12mi

a) x-displacement: 5mi + (-2.12mi) = 2.88mi i
y-displacement: 6.7mi + (-2.12mi) = 4.58mi j
b)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi negation! :smile:
negation said:
x-component: 60mi/hr/60min x 5min = 5mi
y-component: 40mi/h/60min x 10mins = 6.7mi

south-west:
x-component:[(-30mi/hr cos 45°)/60mins]6min = -2.12mi
y-component: [(-30mi/hr sin 45°)/60mins]6min = -2.12mi

a) x-displacement: 5mi + (-2.12mi) = 2.88mi i
y-displacement: 6.7mi + (-2.12mi) = 4.58mi j

yes, that looks fine, except i think they expect you to finish by converting into a total distance and a direction :wink:

(by "direction" i don't know whether they want an angle, or whether specifying a unit vector would be enough)

(i assume you're ok on b)?)

EDIT: just noticed …

how does this save Earth from an asteroid?? :confused:

Correct me if I am wrong, but displacement means the distance between the starting point and the destination, therefore not the total ground covered.

Yeah, what does the asteroid have to do with it? :O

lendav_rott said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but displacement means the distance between the starting point and the destination, therefore not the total ground covered.

Yeah, what does the asteroid have to do with it? :O

Sorry it was a careless blunder as to the title.
Question has been solved

careless blunder?!

it won't always be a practice! :rolleyes:

whole planets have been lost for less! :frown:

Related to How Can We Calculate Displacement and Average Velocity for a Complex Trip?

1. How likely is it that an asteroid will hit Earth?

The likelihood of an asteroid hitting Earth depends on its size and trajectory. NASA estimates that there is a 1 in 300,000 chance of a potentially hazardous asteroid impacting Earth in the next 100 years.

2. How can we detect and track potentially hazardous asteroids?

Astronomers use telescopes and specialized technology to detect and track potentially hazardous asteroids. NASA's Near-Earth Object Program is responsible for identifying and tracking these objects.

3. What methods can be used to deflect an asteroid from colliding with Earth?

There are several proposed methods for deflecting an asteroid, including using a spacecraft to nudge it off course, detonating a nuclear bomb on or near the asteroid, or using solar sails to change its trajectory.

4. How much time do we have to respond if an asteroid is heading towards Earth?

The amount of time we have to respond to an asteroid heading towards Earth depends on its size and distance from Earth. In general, experts estimate that we would need several years to prepare and execute a successful deflection plan.

5. What measures are being taken to prevent an asteroid impact on Earth?

NASA and other organizations are constantly monitoring and tracking potentially hazardous asteroids and developing strategies for deflecting them if necessary. Additionally, scientists are working on ways to better detect and track smaller asteroids that could still cause significant damage.