How can we prove that a given set is open in R^n without making any assumptions?

• Thread starter rumjum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the given set is open, one needs to think about how close a point is to the boundary set and then prove that the neighborhood around y is contained in the set.
rumjum

Homework Statement

In general, in R^n, what is the best way to approach the problem - a given set is open?
The given set E is such that for all x,y that belong to the given set, d(x,y) < r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let x be the center of the sphere and y be any point such that d(x,y) < r. Now, let z be any boundary point such that d(x,z) = r.
Also let d(y,z) < epsilon. We can make a neighborhood N with epsilon as radius and y as point such that all points of N are subset of the given set. In general we can construct a neighborhood N of smallest (of all possible neighborhoods with the same center) radius r ,
such that N is a subset of E. Hence, all points of the given open set are internal points. Hence, the given set is open.

Is it an okay proof? Or should I be proving that the complacent of the open set in a given universe is closed. Hence, the set is open?.

I am somewhat new to the method of writing proofs, and so want to know that which is a better way to prove?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rumjum said:

Homework Statement

In general, in R^n, what is the best way to approach the problem - a given set is open?
The given set E is such that for all x,y that belong to the given set, d(x,y) < r.
In the most general situation, go back to the definition of "open". You didn't say what definition you are using (there are several) but most often the definition is "all points in the set are interior points. Of course the definition of "p is an interior point of set A" (in metric spaces which Rn is) is that there exist some neighborhood of p which is completely contained in A. I'm not entirely sure how your set is defined/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let x be the center of the sphere and y be any point such that d(x,y) < r. Now, let z be any boundary point such that d(x,z) = r.
Also let d(y,z) < epsilon. We can make a neighborhood N with epsilon as radius and y as point such that all points of N are subset of the given set. In general we can construct a neighborhood N of smallest (of all possible neighborhoods with the same center) radius r ,
such that N is a subset of E. Hence, all points of the given open set are internal points. Hence, the given set is open.

Is it an okay proof? Or should I be proving that the complacent of the open set in a given universe is closed. Hence, the set is open?.

I am somewhat new to the method of writing proofs, and so want to know that which is a better way to prove?[/QUOTE]
I have a friend who is a math professor. He tells me that it was when he was able to prove exactly the theorem you mention that he knew he could be and wanted to be a mathematician! I'm concerned that if I help you too much you might miss that thrill!

Let y be a point in the set. One of the things you should think about is how close y is to the boundary set. I strongly recommend you draw a picture. In R2 of course. Draw a circle with center x and mark a point y in the circle. How large can a neighborhood about y be and still be in the set? Now mark a point z in that neighborhood. How far is z from x? Use the triangle inequality.

Thanks for your reply. I did not want to state any assumptions in the problem because there could be several ways to approach. I wanted to leave it as an open ended question... but I am beginning to find that thrill although I get stuck many times!

FAQ: How can we prove that a given set is open in R^n without making any assumptions?

1. What does it mean for a set to be open?

In mathematics, a set is considered open if all its points are interior points, meaning there exists a neighborhood around each point that is contained entirely within the set.

2. How do you prove that a set is open?

To prove that a set is open, you need to show that for every point in the set, there exists a neighborhood around that point that is also contained within the set. This can be done by using the definition of an open set and providing an example or mathematical proof.

3. Are all open sets connected?

No, not all open sets are connected. A set can be open and still have multiple disconnected components within it. For example, a set consisting of two open intervals on a number line would have two disconnected components.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. This type of set is known as a clopen set. An example of a clopen set is the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1, including the endpoints.

5. Is the empty set considered open?

Yes, the empty set is considered open. This is because there are no points in the set that would require a neighborhood around them to be contained in the set. Therefore, the definition of an open set is satisfied.

Back