How can we prove that integers can be defined as odd or even?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of natural numbers and how they can be either odd or even. The topic then shifts to extending this concept to integers, particularly how any integer can be expressed in the form of 3n, 3n+1, or 3n+2. The conversation also explores different methods of proving this, including the use of the Euclidean algorithm. Ultimately, it is established that when dividing an integer by a natural number, the remainder can only be 0, 1, 2, ..., m-1.
Alpharup
Iam working through Spivak calculus now.
The book defines natural numbers as of form N=1,2,3,4...
Iam able to prove that every natural number is either odd or even. How can I extend to Z, integers?
In one of the problems, Spivak says we can write any integer of the form 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2.( n is integer) He gives as hint to the problem.But am not convinced,
In general how can we prove that if m is a natural number, n is an integer, then
any integer can be expressed of the form km, km+1, km+2, km+3,...,km+(k-1)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you have a negative integer n = -m, and k>0, then there are integers q,r, with 0≤r<k such that m = kq + r.
What can you then say about n?

(Hint: r = k - (k - r) ).

Likes Alpharup
Like Erland suggested, it basically comes down to the fact that an integer m divided by n, can have possible remainders 0,1,...m-1. As he suggested, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to prove this.

Likes Alpharup
Spivak has not mentioned about Euclid algorithm. Could you help me with some other way?

Last edited:
I did think of alternate proof like this. Let A be a set of integers which can't be expressed of the form 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2: where n is an integer
Every non-null set of integers has a smallest member. Let it be s.
Consider s-1. s-1 must be expressed of the form 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2. Orelse, it belongs to A, resulting in contradiction.
Now the proof involves equating s-1 to either of these 3 forms: 3n, 3n+1,3n+2
By equating we can easily find that, s is of the form 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2. Hence s does not belong to A. A is null set. So, every integer exists of this form.

Nitpick:
sharan swarup said:
Every non-null set of integers has a smallest member. Let it be s.
This is not correct. Every non-null set of natural numbers has a smallest member.

Your proof only works for positive integers, but of course once you have it for positive integers, you can easily extend it to all integers (by considering -n if n is negative).

Likes Alpharup
Yeah...you are right...we can prove for natural numbers( postive integers) . For negative integers, we can sustidute -n. I tried proving s does not belong to A. I can easily prove -s does not belong to A. but what about s?

sharan swarup said:
Yeah...you are right...we can prove for natural numbers( postive integers) . For negative integers, we can sustidute -n. I tried proving s does not belong to A. I can easily prove -s does not belong to A. but what about s?
You have established that each natural number n can be expressed as 3k, 3k+1 or 3k+2.
If n is a negative integer, -n is positive. So -n can be expressed as 3k, 3k+1 or 3k+2.
Just as an example, say -n=3k+1, then n=-3k-1.
We don't like that -1, but that is easily fixed: n=-3(k+1)+3-1=3(-k-1)+2.

But it really boils down to what @Erland and @WWGD said before: when you divide an integer by a natural number m, the remainder can only be 0,1,2, ..., m-1.

Likes Alpharup
nailed it...thanks

FAQ: How can we prove that integers can be defined as odd or even?

1. What is the definition of an integer?

An integer is a whole number that can be positive, negative, or zero. It does not have any fractional or decimal parts.

2. How are odd and even integers defined?

Odd integers are those that cannot be divided evenly by 2, while even integers are those that can be divided evenly by 2.

3. How can we prove that integers can be defined as odd or even?

We can prove this through the use of mathematical operations such as division and multiplication. For example, if we divide an even integer by 2, the result will always be another integer, while dividing an odd integer by 2 will result in a fractional or decimal value.

4. Can an integer be both odd and even?

No, an integer can only be defined as either odd or even, not both at the same time.

5. Are there any exceptions to the definition of odd and even integers?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. The number 0 is considered an even integer, and some mathematicians also include negative zero as an even integer. Additionally, fractions and decimals can also be classified as odd or even, but they are not considered integers.