How Can We Prove the Cardinality of Intervals in Real Numbers?

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cardinality
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a one-to-one correspondence between different sets, specifically between (0,1) and (a,b), (0,1) and (0,inf), and [-1,1] and (-1,1). Different functions are suggested, such as linear adjustments, trigonometric functions, and countable sequences of distinct elements. It is determined that a bijection can be constructed using the identity function, and that it is possible to find a bijection between the rationals in [0,1] and the irrationals in [0,1].
Unassuming

Homework Statement

Let a,b[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex] such that a < b. Show |(a,b)|=|(0,1)| and Show |(0,1)|=|(0,[tex]\infty[/tex])|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

]
I know that |(0,1)| is equal to the continuum and has the same cardinality as the reals. I would guess that |(0,[tex]\infty[/tex])| is also equal to the continuum. My second educated guess is that since a < b, there are an infinite amount of reals in between a and b also, therefore |(a,b)| is equal to the continuum, too. I might be wrong there.

I know that two sets have the same cardinality if I can find a one-to-one function from one to the other.

I feel like I know more than I am saying here but I cannot really come up with anything. Is it always necessary to come up with a function? The examples that I have look very hard to come up with. Thank you all, in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For |(0,1)|=|(0,inf+)|, I was thinking of a function f(x) that could take any real number in the interval of (0,inf+) and put a decimal in front of it. For example, 10 could be mapped to .10, and 12432 could be mapped to .12432.

I feel like this would be 1-1 and solve the problem. How do I write this type of function?

Unassuming said:
For |(0,1)|=|(0,inf+)|, I was thinking of a function f(x) that could take any real number in the interval of (0,inf+) and put a decimal in front of it. For example, 10 could be mapped to .10, and 12432 could be mapped to .12432.

I feel like this would be 1-1 and solve the problem. How do I write this type of function?
Is that really 1-1? 10 and 100 are mapped to the same thing.

Finding a 1-1 correspondence between (0,1) and (a,b) is easy: try to linearly adjust the identity map of (0,1) onto (0,1). [The way one would come up with using something like this is as follows. Draw a diagram with (0,1) as the 'x-axis' and (a,b) as the 'y-axis'. Then it becomes obvious that the easiest way to form a correspondence between these two sets is to draw a straight line going from (0,a) to (1,b).]

Find one between (0,1) and (0,inf) might be slightly tricker. Try thinking about what the tan function can do for you. [The same reasoning used above applies here; the 'y-axis' this time is (0,inf). A 1-1 correspondence is basically a curve that starts from (0,0) and shoots off to an asymptote at x=1.]

morphism said:
Is that really 1-1? 10 and 100 are mapped to the same thing.

Finding a 1-1 correspondence between (0,1) and (a,b) is easy: try to linearly adjust the identity map of (0,1) onto (0,1). [The way one would come up with using something like this is as follows. Draw a diagram with (0,1) as the 'x-axis' and (a,b) as the 'y-axis'. Then it becomes obvious that the easiest way to form a correspondence between these two sets is to draw a straight line going from (0,a) to (1,b).]

Find one between (0,1) and (0,inf) might be slightly tricker. Try thinking about what the tan function can do for you. [The same reasoning used above applies here; the 'y-axis' this time is (0,inf). A 1-1 correspondence is basically a curve that starts from (0,0) and shoots off to an asymptote at x=1.]

Ok, I figured both of the equations out. I found the slope and y-int of the first, and I found the trig function of the second. I had to shift the trig function which was a nice review of something I'm ashamed to have not committed to memory by now.

Is there any way to use a graph to create a mapping from [-1,1] --> (-1,1)? I immediately though of the sin function but it reaches -1, and 1 on the top and bottom.

Am I allowed to post my functions in this forum?

I read elsewhere that for [-1,1] --> (-1,1) it is impossible to find a continuous function. One of parts though can be constructed as follows,

Let xi be a countable sequence of distinct elements of (0,1). Then map,

0 --> x1

1 --> x2

xi --> xi + 1

Is this a clear bijection? To me (untrained eye) it seems so!

Last edited:
Unassuming said:
Am I allowed to post my functions in this forum?
Yes!

Is there any way to use a graph to create a mapping from [-1,1] --> (-1,1)?
I think you do have the right idea on how such a bijection can be constructed:

0 --> x1

1 --> x2

xi --> xi + 1
Can you think of how one might extend this map so that it becomes a bijection from ALL of [0,1] and onto (0,1)?

I read elsewhere that for [-1,1] --> (-1,1) it is impossible to find a continuous function.
Yes, but what does continuity have to do with anything here?

Unassuming said:

0 --> x1

1 --> x2

xi --> xi + 1

Let xi be a countable sequence of distinct elements of (-1,1). Then map,

-1 --> x1

1 --> x2

xi --> xi + 2

I feel really good about this one Morphism! I am gaining ground by the hour! Check it out (Please)

How is that a map from [-1,1] onto (-1,1)? It's not even defined for all of [-1,1].

Well... I don't know then. That was as far as my brain could go with it, for now.

Unassuming said:
I read elsewhere that for [-1,1] --> (-1,1) it is impossible to find a continuous function. One of parts though can be constructed as follows,

0 --> x1

1 --> x2

xi --> xi + 1

Let x_i be all the rationals in (0,1)
it is then a bijection mapping from rationals in [0,1] to rationals in (0,1) as you can see
so, how to deal with all the irrationals? you need nothing exotic :-p

x in segment (a,b) correspond to (x-a)/(b-a) in segment (0,1)
so Cardinality |(a,b)|=|(0,1)|

Last edited:
x in segment (0,1) correspond to (1-x)/x in segment (0,inf)
so Cardinality |(0,1)|=|(0,inf)|

Related to How Can We Prove the Cardinality of Intervals in Real Numbers?

1. What is the definition of cardinality?

Cardinality is the measure of the number of elements in a set.

2. What does the notation |(a,b)| mean?

The notation |(a,b)| represents the cardinality of the set containing all real numbers between a and b, including a and b.

3. How is the cardinality of the interval (a,b) different from that of [a,b]?

The cardinality of the interval (a,b) is the same as that of [a,b] because both sets contain an infinite number of real numbers between a and b.

4. Is the cardinality of (a,b) equal to the cardinality of (0,1)?

Yes, the cardinality of (a,b) is equal to the cardinality of (0,1) because both sets contain an infinite number of real numbers between 0 and 1.

5. How is the cardinality of (a,b) related to the cardinality of [a,b]?

The cardinality of (a,b) and [a,b] are both equal to the cardinality of the set of real numbers, which is uncountably infinite. However, [a,b] also includes the endpoints a and b, making it a closed set, while (a,b) only includes the numbers in between a and b, making it an open set.

Back