How can we show that all the solutions are given by X_m(a), Y_m(a) ?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an integral domain $F$ with characteristic 2, and the definition of two sequences $X_m(a)$ and $Y_m(a)$ for a given polynomial $a \in F[t]$ and its root $\alpha(a)$. The lemma states that for all $m,n \in \mathbb{Z}$, $X_m(a)$ and $Y_m(a)$ are polynomials obtained by substituting $a$ for $t$ in $X_m(t)$ and $Y_m(t)$ respectively. The conversation then moves on to proving this lemma, with the speaker asking for guidance. The proof for the case of characteristic not equal to 2 is discussed, and the speaker asks for clarification on
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $F$ be an integral domain with characteristic $2$. Let $a\in F[t]$ and $a \notin F$. Let $\alpha (a)$ be a root of the equation $x^2+ax+1=0$. We define two sequences $X_m(a), Y_m(a) \in F[t], m \in \mathbb{Z}$ by
$$X_m(a)+\alpha (a)Y_m(a)=(\alpha (a))^m=(a+\alpha (a))^{-m} \tag 1$$

Lemma.
Let $F$ be an integral domain with characteristic $p=2$. Let $a \in F[t], a \notin F$. For all $m, n \in \mathbb{Z}$ we have :
  1. $X_m(a)$ (resp. $Y_m(a)$) is equal to the polynomial obtained by substituting $a$ for $t$ in $X_m(t)$ (resp. $Y_m(t)$).
    The degree of the polynomial $X_m(t)$ is $m-2$, if $m \geq 2$.
    The degree of the polynomial $Y_m(t)$ is $m-1$, if $m \geq 2$.
    $X_{-m}=X_m(a)+aY_m(a)$
    $Y_{-m}(a)=Y_m(a)$
  2. All solutions $X, Y \in F[t]$ of the equation $$X^2+aXY+Y^2=1\tag 2$$ are given by $X_m(a), Y_m(a)$, with $m \in \mathbb{Z}$.
I want to prove this lemma but I am facing some difficulties at $2$.

First I showed that $(X_m(a), Y_m(a))$ is a solution of the equation $(2)$. But how could we show that all the solutions of the equation $(2)$ are given by $X_m(a), Y_m(a)$.

I have no idea how to do that... Could you give me some hints?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the paper that I am looking I found the corresponding lemma for the case that the characteristic is not $2$ and its proof:

View attachment 4804
View attachment 4805

PROOF.

View attachment 4806
View attachment 4807I want to try to do the same for the case $\text{char}=2$ but first I have to clarify some points at the proof above. Why do we suppose that $R$ (in our case $F$) is an algebraically closed field?

Why do we consider the field $K=R(t)(a)$?

Is $S$ the set of points at which the functions of $K$ are not defined?

Attachments

• charn2.1.PNG
    charn2.1.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 47
  • charn2.2.PNG
    charn2.2.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 46
  • charn2.3.PNG
    charn2.3.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 48
  • charn2.4.PNG
    charn2.4.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 52
$$X^2+aXY+Y^2=1$$

We set $X=x$ and $Y=2y$. Then we have $$x^2+2axy+4y^2=1 \Rightarrow x^2+2axy+a^2y^2-a^2y^2+4y^2=1 \Rightarrow (x+ay)^2-(a^2-4)y^2=1$$

So we have to find the solutions of an equation of the form $$p^2-ks^2=1$$

Since we are working in a field of characteristic $p=2$ and since $k=a^2-4$, does it stand that $k=a^2$ ?

Related to How can we show that all the solutions are given by X_m(a), Y_m(a) ?

1. What is the significance of X_m(a) and Y_m(a) in finding solutions?

X_m(a) and Y_m(a) are known as the "characteristic solutions" and are essential in finding the complete solution to a problem. They represent the general form of solutions that satisfy the given conditions.

2. How do we know that all solutions are given by X_m(a) and Y_m(a)?

This can be proven by using the method of undetermined coefficients. By assuming a general solution in the form of X_m(a) and Y_m(a), and plugging it into the given differential equation, we can show that it satisfies the equation for all values of the constants m and a.

3. Can there be other solutions besides X_m(a) and Y_m(a)?

Yes, there can be other solutions. However, X_m(a) and Y_m(a) represent the most general form of solutions that satisfy the given conditions. Other solutions may be more specific or restricted in their form.

4. How does the uniqueness of X_m(a) and Y_m(a) affect the solutions to a problem?

The uniqueness of X_m(a) and Y_m(a) means that there is only one set of values for the constants m and a that satisfy the given conditions. This ensures that there is only one possible solution to the problem.

5. How can we use X_m(a) and Y_m(a) to find the particular solution to a problem?

By using the method of undetermined coefficients, we can determine the values of the constants m and a that satisfy the given conditions. These values can then be used to plug into the general form of X_m(a) and Y_m(a) to find the particular solution to the problem.