How can we simplify the normalization equation for a sine wave function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a normalization problem involving the function f = sin(Pi x/L) and the use of a normalization formula to integrate N^2 Sin^2(pi x/L). The solution, N^2( L/2) Sin L/2, is compared to the textbook's result of N^2 (L/2). The individual requesting help was confused about how Sin L/2 was eliminated in the solution, but clarified their understanding after registering for the forum.
Activeuser
Hello, please help me with normalization problem..

f is sin(Pi x/L) between 0, L

first we use normalization formula and integrate N^2 Sin^2(pi x/L) to get N^2( L/2) Sin L/2 which equals to one ... this is my solution

in the textbook his result is N^2 (L/2)

My question is how he get rid of Sin L/2.. please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
Activeuser said:
first we use normalization formula and integrate N^2 Sin^2(pi x/L) to get N^2( L/2) Sin L/2 which equals to one ... this is my solution
Hello, and welcome to PF!

Sin L/2 is incorrect. Check your work.

ooh:sorry:. Thank you. I did it.
This confusion leads me to know and register at this great form.
I am happy to be here:smile:

Great! Hope you enjoy the forum.

Thank you.

FAQ: How can we simplify the normalization equation for a sine wave function?

What is the concept of normalizing a wavefunction?

Normalizing a wavefunction is the process of adjusting its amplitude so that the total probability of finding a particle within a specified region is equal to 1.

Why is it necessary to normalize a wavefunction?

Normalizing a wavefunction ensures that the total probability of finding a particle within a specified region is 100%. This is necessary for the wavefunction to accurately describe the behavior of a particle.

How is a wavefunction normalized?

To normalize a wavefunction, the integral of its absolute value squared over all space is calculated. This result is then used to divide the original wavefunction, resulting in a normalized wavefunction.

What is the significance of a normalized wavefunction?

A normalized wavefunction has a total probability of 1, meaning that there is a 100% chance of finding a particle within the specified region. This allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of the particle.

Can any wavefunction be normalized?

Yes, any wavefunction can be normalized as long as it satisfies the normalization condition, which requires the total probability to be equal to 1.

Back