How can we visualize line integrals in layman's terms?

In summary: The cylinder end sitting on the x-y plane is of course nice and flat while the end touching f(x,y) will in general not be flat but will follow the surface of f(x,y) along it's surface where the cylinder meets it. Then:\mathop\oint\limits_{\substack{\text{my}\\ \text{circle}}}f(x,y) dsis the surface area of that cylinder.
kiamzattu
Hello Everyone
I have a few questions regarding line integrals. First what are they? What is the difference between them and the normal integrals? For eg, The normal integrals can be easily understood by visualizing the area bounded by them, in the same way is there any way as to visualize the line integrals as we perform the integration operation, in lay man's terms?

I found that they are used in Gaussian electric fields, Why are they used here?, I mean why can't we use the normal integral in such problems?
what property of the line integral advocates the use of them in such type of problems?

I had Googled a bit and also referred to old threads on this topic in PF, but couldn't understand.Thats why I'm creating a new thread

Physics news on Phys.org
Line integral continuously adds up values of a function along a curve

For example, suppose that a scalar function describes temperature distribution in a plane, call it T(x, y) = x + y

T(1,1) = 2 degrees, at T(.5, 0) = 0.5 degrees, at T(0.01, 0.02) = 0.003

and so on, you are just evaluating the function,

if those points were passing through some curve, the line integral would add them up

2 + 0.5 + 0.003

and so on

Hmm.. when you say normal integration, from your example of a normal integral i assume u mean finding the area under a 2D curve, like y=x2 between a pair of bounds.

line integration is used when instead of having a function of 1 variable (like f(x) = x2) you have a function of 2 or more variables, e.g. f(x,y) = x2 + y2 and you wanted to find the area in a slice of it rather than the total volume of the solid this function generates.

I am unfamiliar with the maths of gaussian electiric fields so i can't comment on that.

Line-Integral.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your replies, Now that the concept of line integral is clear,I have another doubt. When we consider a closed line integral, what is the area that we are evaluating?
Is it the area enclosed between the curves, I doubt it.

Thanks in Advance

Draw a closed line integral and study it: Take a function of two variables f(x,y) which is nicely positive in the first quadrant. Now, draw a circle in the x-y plane in the first quadrant. Now, here it the tricky part. Draw the cylinder that connects the circle, straight up to the surface of f(x,y). Can you visualize that? The cylinder end sitting on the x-y plane is of course nice and flat while the end touching f(x,y) will in general not be flat but will follow the surface of f(x,y) along it's surface where the cylinder meets it. Then:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{\substack{\text{my}\\ \text{circle}}}f(x,y) ds[/tex]

is the surface area of that cylinder. Post a picture, transparent so that we can see where everything is touching then explain to us why:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{\substack{\text{my}\\ \text{circle}}}f(x,y) ds=\lim_{\|\Delta \|} \sum_{i} f(u_i,v_i) \Delta s_i[/tex]

Do something else, compute that closed line integral using just a (finite) Riemann sum above, say for 360 elements and then compare it to the actual value of the integral. Should be close for well-behaved functions, say 2 or 3 decimal places maybe.

@ Squidsoft, Thanks for the reply. I understand the cylindrical area part. i did a little research on the topic and found another interesting example for explaining this closed line integral. It has similar views based on Waht's reply.

For example, suppose that a scalar function describes temperature distribution in a plane, call it T(x, y) = x + y

T(1,1) = 2 degrees, at T(.5, 0) = 0.5 degrees, at T(0.01, 0.02) = 0.003

and so on, you are just evaluating the function,

if those points were passing through some curve, the line integral would add them up

2 + 0.5 + 0.003

From my little research on Closed line integral i found that if these points (Points from the curve) are on a circle which is a close figure then the integral that we evaluate is the closed integral.

The cylinder end sitting on the x-y plane is of course nice and flat while the end touching f(x,y) will in general not be flat but will follow the surface of f(x,y) along it's surface where the cylinder meets it. Then:

is the surface area of that cylinder

Does my little research is same as the above explanation that you gave? Are they both one and the same? Correct me if its not.

Related to How can we visualize line integrals in layman's terms?

What is a line integral visualization?

A line integral visualization is a graphical representation of a line integral, which is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus. It involves integrating a multi-variable function along a specific path or curve in a given vector field. The visualization helps to understand the relationship between the function and the path in the vector field.

What is the purpose of line integral visualization?

The purpose of line integral visualization is to visually represent the concept of line integrals and their relationship to vector fields. It helps in understanding the behavior of the function along a specific path and how it is affected by the vector field. This visualization is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields where vector calculus is applied.

What are the different techniques used for line integral visualization?

There are several techniques used for line integral visualization, including streamlines, pathlines, streaklines, and field line plots. Streamlines show the instantaneous direction of a vector at each point along the path, while pathlines show the actual path of a particle in the vector field. Streaklines show the path of particles released at different times, and field line plots show the direction of the vector field at each point along the path.

What are some applications of line integral visualization?

Line integral visualization has various applications in different fields, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. In fluid mechanics, it can be used to analyze the flow of fluids in various systems. In electromagnetism, it helps to visualize the electric and magnetic fields around charged particles. In thermodynamics, it can be used to study the flow of heat in a system.

How can line integral visualization be used in research and analysis?

Line integral visualization is a powerful tool for research and analysis in various fields. It allows for a better understanding of the relationship between a function and a path in a vector field. By visualizing the behavior of a function along a specific path, researchers can gain insights into the underlying physical processes and make predictions about the behavior of the system. It can also be used to validate mathematical models and simulations.