How Can You Build an Effective Fragile Egg Container for a School Project?

In summary, the conversation discusses a in-class project where the objective is to build an egg container that can withstand a distance throw without cracking the egg inside. The project is evaluated based on the distance of the throw, with a cracked egg resulting in a zero mark. The allowed materials for building the container are specified, and the appearance is not evaluated. The individual has attempted two methods but has not been successful in creating a container that can withstand the required 8 meter throw. They are seeking tips for improvement.
sean0523

Homework Statement

My has is having a in-class project and I want to be prepared for it. The objective is to build an egg container, as fragile and possible, meaning that it will hold the egg strong and prevent it from cracking. How this project is evaluated is by throwing the egg container, with the egg inside, a distance and the egg must not crack. If the egg cracks, the given mark is zero. The egg must be raw.Here is the evaluation for this project:
If thrown over 8 meters: 20/20
over 6 meters: 16/20
over 4 meters: 14/20
over 2 meters: 12/20
cracked egg: 0/20

The materials allowed to build the egg container are:
-five sheets of used 8.5" x 11" paper
-one meter of clear tape
-one mater of string
-100cc of white glue
-one large uncooked egg.

The appearance of the container is not evaluated.
I am only allowed one throw.

Homework Equations

I was thinking simply wrapping everything around the egg. First, tied the egg with the one meter string. Then, i crumble the papers and pack it around the egg five times. lastly, i taped all around the container, sort of like making a tape ball. I don't know what the glue can be used for.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the method above. It works, but I tried it out on my apartment floor, with is carpet. Then I've tried it again by throwing the container against a wall with relatively high strength from about five meters away, and the egg cracked. I don't know if what I've attempted is equivalent to throwing the container over 8 meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also tried another way, which is by simply wrapping the egg with the papers and taping it together, but that didn't seem to work.I'm having a hard time figuring out how to build this egg container that can withstand the 8 meter throw. Any tips on what I should do?

I would suggest experimenting with different methods and materials to find the most effective solution for your fragile egg container. Some suggestions could be using multiple layers of paper, using different types of tape or glue, or even incorporating other materials such as foam or bubble wrap. Additionally, you could also consider the angle and force of the throw when testing your container's durability. It may also be helpful to research and understand the physics behind impact and how different materials can absorb or distribute force. Good luck with your project!

Related to How Can You Build an Effective Fragile Egg Container for a School Project?

1. How can I prevent my egg container from breaking during transportation?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your egg container from breaking during transportation. First, make sure the container is made of a sturdy material, such as plastic or foam. Second, pack the container tightly with enough cushioning material, such as bubble wrap or newspaper. Third, label the container as fragile and handle with care. Finally, avoid placing heavy objects on top of the container during transportation.

2. What is the best type of material for a fragile egg container?

The best type of material for a fragile egg container is one that is lightweight yet strong enough to provide adequate protection. Popular options include plastic, foam, and cardboard. Make sure to choose a material that is also waterproof to prevent any damage to the eggs.

3. How many eggs can a fragile egg container hold?

The number of eggs a fragile egg container can hold depends on the size of the container. Most containers can hold anywhere from 6 to 24 eggs. It is important to not overpack the container to avoid any breakage during transportation.

4. Can I reuse a fragile egg container?

Yes, you can reuse a fragile egg container as long as it is still in good condition and has not been damaged. Make sure to thoroughly clean and disinfect the container before reusing it to prevent any potential contamination.

5. How do I properly dispose of a fragile egg container?

The best way to dispose of a fragile egg container is to recycle it if it is made of a recyclable material, such as plastic or cardboard. If not, make sure to dispose of it in a designated waste bin to avoid any harm to the environment.