How Can You Calculate the Emissivity of Argon for Heat Transfer Analysis?

In summary, the person is asking for information on the emissivity of argon gas and how to calculate it for a project involving heat transfer. They are also considering the role of heat conduction and convection in gases.
gemt
Hi,

Can anyone give me any information on where i could find information on the emissivity of a gas, particulally argon, or how i can calculate it? i am trying to create a graph of heat transfer against temperature and see which plays a larger role at particular temperatures when transfering heat through a gas.

Thanks

Gemma :-)

Science news on Phys.org
Curiously with Argon being a rare gas and the observation that oxygen nitrogen and the rare gases do not emit radiation in the IR range of the EMR at ordinary temperatures the answer is the emissivity is very very low.

http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/11211

gemt said:
Can anyone give me any information on where i could find information on the emissivity of a gas, particulally argon, or how i can calculate it? i am trying to create a graph of heat transfer against temperature and see which plays a larger role at particular temperatures when transfering heat through a gas.
Are you more interested in heat conduction by gases? See
http://www.decompression.org/maiken/Why_Argon.htm
Also consider heat convection by gases.

Related to How Can You Calculate the Emissivity of Argon for Heat Transfer Analysis?

1. What is thermal emissivity of gases?

Thermal emissivity of gases is a measure of a gas's ability to emit thermal radiation. It is a dimensionless quantity, typically ranging from 0 to 1, where a value of 1 represents a perfect emitter (i.e. a blackbody) and a value of 0 represents a perfect reflector.

2. How does thermal emissivity of gases affect heat transfer?

Thermal emissivity of gases plays a crucial role in heat transfer processes such as radiation. Gases with higher emissivity are better at absorbing and emitting thermal radiation, which can significantly impact the rate of heat transfer in a system.

3. What factors affect the thermal emissivity of gases?

The thermal emissivity of gases can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. In general, gases with higher molecular weight and more complex molecular structures tend to have higher emissivity values.

4. How is thermal emissivity of gases measured?

Thermal emissivity of gases can be measured using specialized instruments such as spectrometers or pyrometers. These instruments measure the amount of thermal radiation emitted by a gas sample at different wavelengths and calculate its emissivity based on this data.

5. How does thermal emissivity of gases vary with temperature?

In most cases, the thermal emissivity of gases increases with temperature. This is because higher temperatures lead to increased molecular vibrations and greater energy absorption and emission, resulting in a higher emissivity. However, some gases may exhibit a decrease in emissivity at very high temperatures due to dissociation or ionization effects.