How Can You Calculate the Magnitude of the Force of Friction on a Slide?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a slide at a 45° incline with a height of 36.0 meters. The first part asks for the speed of a 51.1 kg thrill seeker at the bottom of the slide with no friction, which is calculated to be 26.5 m/s. The second part asks for the change in mechanical energy due to friction, which is found to be -4978 J. The final part asks for the magnitude of the force of friction, which is solved by working backwards using the energy lost due to friction. The final answer is not given, but the lesson is to try working backwards if unable to work forwards.
septum

Homework Statement

Suppose a slide similar to Der Stuka is 36.0 meters high, but is a straight slope, inclined at 45° with respect to the horizontal.
(a) Find the speed of a 51.1 kg thrill seeker at the bottom of the slide, assuming no friction.
26.5 m/s

(b) If the thrill seeker has a speed of 22.6 m/s at the bottom, find the change in mechanical energy due to friction.
-4978 J

(c) Find the magnitude of the force of friction, assumed constant.
____ N2. Homework Equations /attempts
Magnitude of F = W/change in X, but no X is given, just Y.
I know F= mu/N and I found normal force to be [51.1 kg*9.8 m/s^2 cos(45)]=354 N

I am stuck there and cannot think of a way to calculate mu.

Physics news on Phys.org
septum said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a slide similar to Der Stuka is 36.0 meters high, but is a straight slope, inclined at 45° with respect to the horizontal.
(a) Find the speed of a 51.1 kg thrill seeker at the bottom of the slide, assuming no friction.
26.5 m/s

(b) If the thrill seeker has a speed of 22.6 m/s at the bottom, find the change in mechanical energy due to friction.
-4978 J

(c) Find the magnitude of the force of friction, assumed constant.
____ N

2. Homework Equations /attempts
Magnitude of F = W/change in X, but no X is given, just Y.
I know F= mu/N and I found normal force to be [51.1 kg*9.8 m/s^2 cos(45)]=354 N

I am stuck there and cannot think of a way to calculate mu.

You know how fast he was going frictionless. Now they tell you how fast he was going under less than ideal conditions. i.e with friction.

The difference in speed then must have been from the friction. So what was the retarding force, given by first determining the difference from ideal acceleration?

I still don't get this at all.

You aren't given the coefficient of friction, so you can't work it out with F = uN.
Work with the energy lost due to friction, which you do have from part (b).
This is the work done against the force of friction, W = F*d.

I... finally came to the answer after about 8 pieces of paper. I think far too into this. Thank you for your help

Speed will come with experience! The lesson on this one is that if you can't work forwards, try working backwards.

FAQ: How Can You Calculate the Magnitude of the Force of Friction on a Slide?

1. What is the magnitude of force of friction?

The magnitude of force of friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes in contact with another surface. It is a vector quantity and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is the magnitude of force of friction calculated?

The magnitude of force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force of friction?

The magnitude of force of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force between the surfaces. It is also influenced by the speed and temperature of the objects.

4. How does the magnitude of force of friction impact motion?

The magnitude of force of friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can slow down or stop an object's motion. It also determines the maximum amount of force an object can exert without sliding on a surface.

5. Can the magnitude of force of friction ever be zero?

Yes, the magnitude of force of friction can be zero in certain situations where there is no contact between surfaces or when the surfaces are perfectly smooth. In these cases, there is no force of friction to resist motion.

Back