How Can You Convert \( \frac{1}{1+x^{2m}} \) from a Product to a Series?

In summary, to convert $\frac{1}{1+x^{2m}}$ into a sum of terms, the polynomial can be expressed as a product of m terms and then converted into a sum of m terms using the cover-up rule and the roots of -1. This results in the equation $\frac1{1+x^{2m}} = \frac1m \sum_{k=1}^m \frac{x\cos\bigl( \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi\bigr) -1}{x^2 - 2x\cos\bigl( \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi\bigr) + 1}.$
Kiwi1
I would like to convert:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x^{2m}}[/tex]

into a sum of terms. Preferably m terms but 2m terms would be OK.

I start off with:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x^{2m}}=\frac{1}{\Pi^k_1(x-e^{i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi})(x-e^{-i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi})}=\frac{1}{\Pi^k_1 (x^2-2x \cdot cos \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi +1)}[/tex] where k = 1 to m.

And I hope that this may be converted from a product of m terms into a sum of m terms?

I don't know for certain that this is possible. But I expect it probably is because the integral of this entity is a sum of k terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kiwi said:
I would like to convert:

I start off with:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x^{2m}}=\frac{1}{\Pi^k_1(x-e^{i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi})(x-e^{-i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi})}=\frac{1}{\Pi^k_1 (x^2-2x \cdot cos \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi +1)}[/tex] where k = 1 to m.

And I hope that this may be converted from a product of m terms into a sum of m terms?

I don't know for certain that this is possible. But I expect it probably is because the integral of this entity is a sum of k terms.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 + x^{2m}} = \frac{1}{1 - \left( -x^{2m} \right) } \end{align*}$

Now notice that a geometric series $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} r^n = \frac{1}{1 - r} \end{align*}$, which is convergent where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |r| < 1 \end{align*}$. What you have is simply the closed form of a geometric series with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r = -x^{2m} \end{align*}$. So...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - \left( - x^{2m} \right) } &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \left( -x^{2m} \right) ^n \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \left[ \left( -1 \right) ^n \, x^{2\,m\,n} \right] \end{align*}$

and this is convergent where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| -x^{2m} \right| < 1 \implies \left| x \right| ^{2m} < 1 \implies |x| < 1^{\frac{1}{2m}} \implies |x| < 1 \end{align*}$.

Kiwi said:
I would like to convert:

I start off with:

In...

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/too-difficult-integral-1842.html#post8616

... it is reported the general expansion...

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{1+t^{n}}=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\frac{w_{n,k}^{1-n}}{t -w_{n,k}}\ ,\ w_{n,k}=e^{\ i\ \frac{2k+1}{n}\ \pi}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks Chisigma, I am actually trying to solve a similar "too difficult" integral.

Kiwi said:
I would like to convert:

I start off with:

What you want to do here is to express $\frac{1}{1+x^{2m}}$ as a sum of partial fractions. There is a neat trick for doing this.

Suppose that $x-\alpha$ is a factor of the polynomial $p(x)$. The cover-up rule says that the coefficient $A$ in the fraction $\frac A{x-\alpha}$ that occurs in the partial fraction decomposition of $\frac1{p(x)}$ is obtained by omitting the factor $x-\alpha$ from the denominator $p(x)$ (in effect, dividing $p(x)$ by $x-\alpha$) and then putting $x=\alpha$. You can express this in terms of a limit by saying that \(\displaystyle A = \lim_{x\to\alpha}\frac{x-\alpha}{p(x)}.\) But that limit is \(\displaystyle \frac1{p'(\alpha)}.\)

Now apply that trick to the polynomial $1+x^{2m}$ and let $\omega = e^{i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi}.$ You find that the coefficient of the term $\frac1{x-\omega}$ in the partial fraction decomposition of $\frac1{1+x^{2m}}$ is $\frac1{2m\omega^{2m-1}}.$ But $\omega^{2m} = 1$, so the coefficient is $\frac{\omega}{2m}.$ Therefore $$\frac1{1+x^{2m}} = \frac1{2m}\sum_\omega \frac\omega{x-\omega},$$ where the sum is taken over all the $(2m)$th roots of $-1.$

If you combine the terms involving $\omega$ and $\overline{\omega}$, where $\omega = e^{i\frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi}$, then you find that $$\frac1{1+x^{2m}} = \frac1m \sum_{k=1}^m \frac{x\cos\bigl( \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi\bigr) -1}{x^2 - 2x\cos\bigl( \frac{2k-1}{2m}\pi\bigr) + 1}.$$

Edit. If I had read it more carefully, I would have seen that chisigma's comment above already gives that same partial fraction decomposition.

Last edited:

Related to How Can You Convert \( \frac{1}{1+x^{2m}} \) from a Product to a Series?

1. What is the purpose of converting a product to a series?

The purpose of converting a product to a series is to create a set of related products that are marketed and sold together. This can help to increase sales and customer loyalty by offering a complete package of products that work well together.

2. How is a product converted to a series?

A product can be converted to a series by identifying complementary or related products and grouping them together under a common brand or product line. This can involve creating a new packaging design, marketing strategy, and pricing structure for the series.

3. What are the potential benefits of converting a product to a series?

The potential benefits of converting a product to a series include increased sales, increased customer satisfaction and loyalty, and a stronger brand presence. It can also streamline the production and marketing processes by focusing on a specific product line.

4. Can any product be converted to a series?

In theory, any product can be converted to a series by identifying related or complementary products. However, it may not be practical or beneficial for all products. It is important to carefully consider the target market, competition, and potential benefits before converting a product to a series.

5. What are some examples of successful product series?

Some examples of successful product series include Apple's iPhone series, which offers different models and features within the same product line, and Coca-Cola's range of beverages that are all marketed under the same brand. Another example is the Harry Potter book series, where each book is related to the others and can be purchased as a set.