How can you determine the mass flow rate

In summary, the problem is trying to find the mass flow rate of the cooling water at the condenser given that the power input is 100MW and the net work is 45MW. The heat lost is absorbed by the water, making it's temperature rise from 20 C to 35 C. To solve the problem, you need to find the mass flow rate of the cooling water at the condenser and the specific heat at the mean temperature. The thermal efficiency of the cycle is 38.9% and the mass flow rate of the cooling water is 35.998 kg/s.
darkmagic

Homework Statement

How can you determine the mass flow rate, given that net power output is 100 MW, of the cooling water if it enters the condenser at 20 C and leaves at 35 C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that mass flow rate is the same all through out. I have the power and the net work but the required is mass flow rate at those given temperature.

The question is from the rankine cycle.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the problem be solved, the mass flow rate of the cooling water at the condenser?

You have the power lost at 100MW.

The heat lost is absorbed by the water, making it's temperature rise from 20 C to 35 C.

[tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] = [tex]\dot{m}[/tex][tex]C_{p}[/tex][tex]\left(T - Ti)[/tex]

That's the mass flow-rate you require to achieve the required heat loss.

Q is the Q out at the condenser and the cp is the specific heat at constant pressure of water?

[tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] in this case is the flowrate of heat, which is measured in Watts.

[tex]C_{p}[/tex] is the specific heat of water flowing through a control volume, which in this case is your condensor. Evaluate the specific heat at the mean temperature [tex]T_{m}[/tex], which is simply the average between the outlet and inlet temperatures.

how can i know cp and Q dot?

[tex]C_{p}[/tex] can be found from generic steam tables that list the properties of substances at different temperatures.

[tex]\dot{Q}[/tex] is already given to you.

so Q dot is the 100MW. In what part of the steam table can I find the cp values?

Here is an example problem:

net power output is 45MW
Turbine inlet pressure and temperature are 7MPa and 500C
Condenser pressure of 10kPa
Cooling water rate of 2000kg/s

Find:

thermal efficiency of the cycle
mass flow rate of steam
temperature rise of cooling water

I got the thermal efficiency, which is 38.9% and
mass flow rate of 35.998 kg/s

I do not know the temperature rise.
What should I do?
I do not know where the cp can be found at the steam table.

Additional question:

What can be mean by this?

The heat transfer to the steam in the boiler occurs at the rate of 400000 kW.
Does this mean that the power input in the boiler is 400000 kW? or
This mean that the net power is 400000 kW?

what do i do next?

Please someone answer me

how can this be done?

Related to How can you determine the mass flow rate

1. What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the measurement of the mass of a substance (such as a gas or liquid) flowing through a specific point in a given period of time. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit time, such as kilograms per second.

2. How can you determine the mass flow rate of a substance?

The mass flow rate of a substance can be determined by measuring the amount of mass that passes through a specific point in a given period of time. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using a flow meter or by measuring the change in mass of a container before and after the substance flows through it.

3. What factors can affect the mass flow rate of a substance?

The mass flow rate of a substance can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the substance, the density of the substance, and the size and shape of the container or conduit through which the substance is flowing. Changes in temperature and pressure can also impact the mass flow rate.

4. How is mass flow rate different from volume flow rate?

Mass flow rate and volume flow rate are two different measurements used to describe the flow of a substance. Mass flow rate measures the amount of mass passing through a point per unit time, while volume flow rate measures the volume of a substance passing through a point per unit time. They can be related by using the density of the substance.

5. Can mass flow rate be calculated for gases and liquids?

Yes, mass flow rate can be calculated for both gases and liquids. However, the method of measurement may differ for each. For gases, the mass flow rate can be determined by measuring the volume and pressure of the gas and using the ideal gas law. For liquids, the mass flow rate can be determined by measuring the volume and density of the liquid.