How Can You Determine the Reach of a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the size of an electromagnetic or regular magnetic field, specifically in regards to a regular bar magnet and its ability to attract or repel another magnet. The unit of measure for force is Newton, while the unit for magnetic field strength is Tesla. It is also noted that a magnetic field does not have a specific size, but can act at any distance depending on other forces present.
Yamspotato
Hello! I was just wondering, how can one determine the size of an electromagnetic or regular magnetic field?
For instance, if I had a regular bar magnet and I wanted to calculate to what distance the magnetic field could attract/repel another magnet, how would I go about doing that?

I know the measure of force would be Tesla, but the size of the field itself is what I'm not too sure about...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Yamspotato said:
Hello! I was just wondering, how can one determine the size of an electromagnetic or regular magnetic field?
For instance, if I had a regular bar magnet and I wanted to calculate to what distance the magnetic field could attract/repel another magnet, how would I go about doing that?
Put the magnet on the end of a Newtonmeter, read the scale, observe the orientation of the magnet. See the definition of the magnetic field.

The details depend on the magnetic field you want to measure.
Usually we would use an electronic device for small fields.

I know the measure of force would be Tesla, but the size of the field itself is what I'm not too sure about...
The SI unit for force is "Newton" - the unit for magnetic field strength is "Tesla".
We don't usually think of a magnetic field as having a "size".

Bear in mind that the bar magnet, in your example, will attract/repel another magnet to any distance at all. It's just that there are other forces around that can balance this out.

Related to How Can You Determine the Reach of a Magnetic Field?

1. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

2. How is the size of a magnetic field determined?

The size of a magnetic field is determined by the strength of the magnetic force or flux density, which is measured in units of Tesla or Gauss.

3. What factors affect the size of a magnetic field?

The size of a magnetic field can be affected by the strength of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the permeability of the material surrounding the magnet.

4. Can the size of a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the size of a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength of the magnet or by changing the distance from the magnet.

5. What is the typical size of a magnetic field on Earth?

The magnetic field of Earth has a strength of about 25 to 65 microtesla (µT) at the surface, which is equivalent to 0.25 to 0.65 gauss (G).