How can you evaluate a definite integral using trigonometric substitution?

In summary: It has a good explanation of what the function is and how to find its derivatives.oh right thanks, i used ∫secx=ln(secx+tanx) and it worked. Just a question about the hyperbolic sine, would you mind explaining it a bit to me or linking me to a good place that explains it?
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

evaluate the definite integral ∫(0 to 3) dx/sqrt(25+x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used substitution and set x=5tanθ, and dx=5tanθsecθdθ

then i wrote the integral as 5∫ tanθsecθdθ/sqrt(25(1+tan^2(θ))

after some simplification i got

∫tanθsecθdθ/secθ = ∫tanθ =tanθsecθ

I then used θ=arctan(x/5) from the original x substitution and my final solution looked like this

tan(arctan(3/5))sec(arctan(3/5))-tan(arctan(0))sec(arctan(0))

It is incorrect, can anyone let me know where i might have done something incorrectly? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
if x=5 tan(theta) then isn't dx=5sec^2(theta) dtheta

oh you're right, but after solving the integral i still end up with tanθsecθ.. Unless i am doing something wrong in finding my θ values for x=3 and x=0?

doctordiddy said:
oh you're right, but after solving the integral i still end up with tanθsecθ.. Unless i am doing something wrong in finding my θ values for x=3 and x=0?

No, you don't get tanθsecθ. And the integral of tanθ isn't even tanθsecθ. What are you doing?

doctordiddy said:

Homework Statement

evaluate the definite integral ∫(0 to 3) dx/sqrt(25+x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used substitution and set x=5tanθ, and dx=5tanθsecθdθ

then i wrote the integral as 5∫ tanθsecθdθ/sqrt(25(1+tan^2(θ))

after some simplification i got

∫tanθsecθdθ/secθ = ∫tanθ =tanθsecθ

I then used θ=arctan(x/5) from the original x substitution and my final solution looked like this

tan(arctan(3/5))sec(arctan(3/5))-tan(arctan(0))sec(arctan(0))

It is incorrect, can anyone let me know where i might have done something incorrectly? Thanks
If you use your substitution to find [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{25+x*2}}\,,\ [/itex] you get [itex]\displaystyle \ \int\sec(\theta)\,d\theta\ .[/itex]

The anti-derivative of sec(θ) is not tan(θ)sec(θ) . The derivative of sec(θ) is tan(θ)sec(θ) . You seem to have these confused.

A better substitution uses the hyperbolic sine, x = sinh(u) .

SammyS said:
If you use your substitution to find [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{25+x*2}}\,,\ [/itex] you get [itex]\displaystyle \ \int\sec(\theta)\,d\theta\ .[/itex]

The anti-derivative of sec(θ) is not tan(θ)sec(θ) . The derivative of sec(θ) is tan(θ)sec(θ) . You seem to have these confused.

A better substitution uses the hyperbolic sine, x = sinh(u) .

oh right thanks, i used ∫secx=ln(secx+tanx) and it worked. Just a question about the hyperbolic sine, would you mind explaining it a bit to me or linking me to a good place that explains it? I don't think I've been taught it yet but one of the listed possible solutions has arccosh in it, and I am curious as to what exactly it is

FAQ: How can you evaluate a definite integral using trigonometric substitution?

What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving radical expressions or expressions involving trigonometric functions. It involves replacing the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function, making it easier to integrate.

When is trigonometric substitution used?

Trigonometric substitution is used when integrating expressions containing square roots or expressions involving trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. It can also be used to evaluate integrals involving rational functions.

What are the common trigonometric substitutions used?

The three common trigonometric substitutions used are:
1. Sine substitution: x = a sinθ
2. Cosine substitution: x = a cosθ
3. Tangent substitution: x = a tanθ
where a is a constant and θ is the substitution variable.

What are the steps for performing trigonometric substitution?

The general steps for performing trigonometric substitution are:
1. Identify the expression to be integrated and determine which trigonometric substitution to use.
2. Substitute the trigonometric function for the variable in the integral.
3. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression.
4. Solve for the variable in terms of θ.
5. Substitute back into the original integral and integrate with respect to θ.
6. Convert the final answer back into the original variable.

What are some tips for using trigonometric substitution?

Some tips for using trigonometric substitution are:
1. Remember to use the Pythagorean identities to simplify expressions involving trigonometric functions.
2. Always check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it matches the original expression.
3. Practice using different trigonometric substitutions for a variety of integrals.
4. Be careful with limits of integration when substituting back to the original variable.
5. If the integral involves a radical in the numerator, try using the secant substitution instead of the sine or cosine substitutions.