How Can You Find the Inverse Laplace Transform of \(\frac{s}{{(s + 4)^4}}\)?

In summary: Laplace transform you were looking for. Let me know if you have any other questions. In summary, to find the inverse Laplace transform of \frac{s}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^4 }}, we can use properties of the Laplace transform to break it down into simpler expressions and then combine the results to get the final answer of \frac{24}{t^3}e^{-4t}.
Benny
Hi I'm having problems find the inverse Laplace transform of [tex]\frac{s}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^4 }}[/tex] via a table/look up method.

In another question part I found the inverse Laplace transform of (s+4)^-4 by considering [tex]\frac{{d^3 }}{{db^3 }}\left[ {\left( {s + b} \right)^{ - 1} } \right][/tex] so that the problem essentially reduced to finding the inverse Laplace transform of 1/(s+b). After that I just set b = 4 to get the answer.

But I can't think of a way to do this one (the one in the first sentence of this post). I have [tex]L^{ - 1} \left\{ {\frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^4 }};s \to t} \right\} = \frac{{t^3 }}{6}e^{ - 2t} [/tex] but I don't see a way to use it to find the inverse Laplace transform of s(s+4)^-4. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely help you with finding the inverse Laplace transform of \frac{s}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^4 }}. First, let's rewrite the expression as \frac{s}{(s+4)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{s+4}. Now, we can use the property of the Laplace transform that states L\{tf(t)\} = -F'(s), where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t). In this case, we have f(t) = \frac{1}{s+4} and F(s) = e^{-4s}. Therefore, by applying the property, we get L\{t\cdot \frac{1}{s+4}\} = -\frac{d}{ds}(e^{-4s}) = 4e^{-4s}.

Now, we are left with finding the inverse Laplace transform of \frac{s}{(s+4)^3}\cdot 4e^{-4s}. We can use another property of the Laplace transform that states L\{t^n\} = \frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}. In this case, we have n=2 and we get L\{t^2\} = \frac{2!}{s^{2+1}} = \frac{2}{s^3}. Therefore, by applying this property, we get L\{\frac{s}{(s+4)^3}\} = -\frac{d}{ds}(\frac{2}{s^3}) = \frac{6}{s^4}.

Finally, we can combine the two results to get the inverse Laplace transform of \frac{s}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^4 }} as L^{-1}\{\frac{s}{(s+4)^4}\} = L^{-1}\{\frac{s}{(s+4)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{s+4}\} = L^{-1}\{t\cdot \frac{1}{s+4}\}\cdot L^{-1}\{\frac{s}{(s+4)^3}\} = 4e^{-4t}\cdot \frac{6}{t^3} = \frac{24}{t^3}e^{-4t}.

I hope this helps you with finding the inverse

Related to How Can You Find the Inverse Laplace Transform of \(\frac{s}{{(s + 4)^4}}\)?

What is an Inverse Laplace transform?

An Inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to transform a function from the complex frequency domain to the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Laplace transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain.

Why is the Inverse Laplace transform important?

The Inverse Laplace transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain. It is a powerful tool in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields, as it helps us understand the behavior of systems and processes over time.

How is the Inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The Inverse Laplace transform is calculated using the Bromwich integral formula, which involves integrating the function in the complex plane. This integral can be solved using methods such as partial fraction decomposition, contour integration, or the residue theorem.

What is the relationship between the Laplace transform and the Inverse Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform and the Inverse Laplace transform are inverse operations of each other. The Laplace transform converts a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain, while the Inverse Laplace transform converts it back to the time domain. They are used together to solve differential equations and analyze systems in different domains.

What are some real-world applications of the Inverse Laplace transform?

The Inverse Laplace transform has various real-world applications, including signal processing, control systems, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and finance to model and analyze complex systems.