How can you prove that a matrix is equal to zero if its trace is always zero?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a zero matrix is a matrix where all of its elements are equal to zero. A matrix can have a trace of zero but still not be a zero matrix, as the trace is only the sum of its diagonal elements. The trace of a matrix is equal to the sum of its eigenvalues, meaning that a matrix with a trace of zero must also have a sum of eigenvalues equal to zero. To prove that a matrix is equal to zero if its trace is zero, one can show that all of its eigenvalues are equal to zero. The trace of a matrix is not the only way to determine if it is equal to zero, as it can also be shown by simplifying the matrix using row operations or other matrix operations
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's problem!

-----
Let $\Bbb k$ be a field. Suppose $A \in M_n(\Bbb k)$ such that $\operatorname{trace}(AM) = 0$ for all $M \in M_n(\Bbb k)$. Prove $A = 0$. Furthermore, show that the linear transformation $L_B : M_n(\Bbb k) \to M_n(\Bbb k)$ given by $L_B(X) = BX$ is an isometry with respect to the inner product $\langle X,Y\rangle = \operatorname{trace}(XY^T)$ if and only if $B$ is orthogonal.

Note: Due to the fact there there are essentially two problems this week, I have simplified this problem so that you may, if you wish, rely on the theory of eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices over fields.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No answered this week's problem. You can view my solution below.

First Part
Let $A = (a_{ij})$. For fixed indices $i$, $j$, let $E_{ji}$ be the matrix with entry $1$ in position $(j,i)$ and zeros everywhere else. Then

$$(AE_{ji})_{\mu\nu} = \sum_k a_{\mu k} (E_{ji})_{k\nu} = \begin{cases}a_{\mu j}& i = \nu\\0&i = \nu\end{cases}.$$

That is, $(AE_{ji})_{\mu \nu} = a_{\mu j} \delta_{i\nu}$. Hence

$$0 = \operatorname{trace}(AE_{ji}) = \sum_\mu a_{\mu j} \delta_{i\mu} = a_{ij}.$$

Consequently, $A = 0$.

Second Part
If $B$ is orthogonal, then $$\langle L_B(X),L_B(Y)\rangle = \langle BX, BY\rangle = \operatorname{trace}[(BX)(BY)^T] = \operatorname{trace}(BXY^TB^T) = \operatorname{trace}(B^TBXY^T) = \operatorname{trace}(IXY^T) = \operatorname{trace}(XY^T) = \langle X,Y\rangle$$

for all $X,Y \in M_n(\Bbb R)$. So $L_B$ is an isometry.

Conversely, suppose $L_B$ is an isometry. Then $\langle L_B(X), L_B(I) \rangle = \langle X,I\rangle$ for all $X \in M_n(\Bbb R)$. Thus $\operatorname{trace}(BXB^T) = \operatorname{trace}(X)$ $\implies$ $\operatorname{trace}(B^TBX) = \operatorname{trace}(X)$ $\implies$ $\operatorname{trace}(B^TBX) = \operatorname{trace}(X)$ $\implies$ $\operatorname{trace}((B^TB - I)X) = 0$ for all $X \in M_n(\Bbb R)$. By the first part, $B^TB - I = 0$, i.e., $B^TB = I$. Hence, $B$ is orthogonal.

Last edited:

Related to How can you prove that a matrix is equal to zero if its trace is always zero?

1. How do you define a zero matrix?

A zero matrix is a matrix where all of its elements are equal to zero. This means that the matrix has no values or variables that differ from zero.

2. Can a matrix have a trace of zero but still not be a zero matrix?

Yes, a matrix can have a trace of zero and still not be a zero matrix. This is because the trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements, and the other elements in the matrix may have non-zero values.

3. What is the relationship between a matrix's trace and its eigenvalues?

The trace of a matrix is equal to the sum of its eigenvalues. This means that if a matrix's trace is zero, then the sum of its eigenvalues must also be zero.

4. How can you prove that a matrix is equal to zero if its trace is zero?

If a matrix has a trace of zero, this means that the sum of its eigenvalues is also zero. To prove that the matrix is equal to zero, you can show that all of its eigenvalues are equal to zero as well. This can be done by finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix and solving for its roots.

5. Is the trace of a matrix the only way to determine if it is equal to zero?

No, the trace of a matrix is not the only way to determine if it is equal to zero. Another way is to show that all of its elements are equal to zero by performing row operations or using other matrix operations to simplify the matrix.