How Can You Reach Europe Without Flying?

In summary, someone tried to cross the Atlantic by raft, but it was unsuccessful. They may be able to find help from Ragnar Thorstvedt, a Viking captain who attempted the crossing a few times.
arildno said:
That's not relevant, since the birds are gaining a lot of strength by eating fish during their lunch-break

Actually, you could do the fishing for them, while flying over the ocean...that way they won't need the break (unless you feel like a bath).

How much additional weight is a fishing line and some worms ?

Physics news on Phys.org
tumor said:
Is there a way for person to get to Europe other than flying on a passenger jet?

It is definately the simplest, and cheapest way, but the next most common and practical ways across the Atlantic IMO are :

- Container ships : some accept passengers (from 4 to 20) for around 100-300$ a night (about 6-12 days to Europe I believe).
- Cruise ship (Queen Mary 2 etc.)
- Charter or private airplane/jet
- Personnal sailboat/yacht

I don't think walking across the Berring Straight and Siberia is very common... But there is an active Trans-Siberian railroad. And I believe a few passenger boats go to Greenland from Canada, perhaps even to Russia, across the Arctic, but I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonzolo?.. how many people go into one container?

tumor said:
Gonzolo?.. how many people go into one container?

Only a few, if you plan on breathing O2 for the entire trip ...

Actually, there are beds (dorms or rooms, I am not sure) and you eat at the cafeteria with employees. I have never done it but have looked into it. You apparently need books to pass the time, as there is not much to do (not aloud to work). Understandingly, it is quite a select few who enjoy this type of travel.

And not just container ships...I think most bulk carriers will take a few passengers.

Do you have more info or link about going on ship to europe? it is not bad idea.

One obvious option, though difficult, is to dry the Atlantic ocean and then do the journey walking. But how to dry it? Well, perhaps manipulating the weather... After all is postulated that Mars had seas in the past...

You could go to City Hall and petition to have your town renamed Europe. Then you could go to Europe and still sleep in your own bed.

If I go to the City Hall and ask to rename my city Europe, they going to throw me into the insane asylum.! Not very good idea Man!

is the Insane Asylum in Europe?