How Can You Solve a Complex Numerical Integration Problem on Paper?

In summary, converting the original integral to a tractable one involves two successive changes of variables and two nontrivial simplifications.
samgrace

Homework Statement

Integreate:

##T = ∫ \frac{dy}{V_ab (y)} = \frac{2}{v}∫[1 + \frac{\alpha^2 y}{L} + 2\alpha \sqrt\frac{y}{L} cos(\phi(y))]^\frac{-1}{2} dy##

where ## \phi (y) = \frac{\pi}{6} + sin^-1(\frac{\alpha\sqrt{y}}{2\sqrt{L}}) ##

The limits are between 0 and L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have input this integral several times into MATLAB with no success, I was wondering if there was a way to do this on paper? My module on numerical integration isn't until next term

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with a function known as ##\text{quad()}##? It uses Simpson quadrature to numerically estimate the integral.

There is also ##\text{quadl()}##, which uses Lobatto quadrature.

The quad/quadl syntax you should be using is: ##\text{quad(function, a, b)}##.

So define your integral as an anonymous function between the respective limits from ##a## to ##b## and quad should return the answer.

samgrace said:

Homework Statement

Integreate:

##T = ∫ \frac{dy}{V_ab (y)} = \frac{2}{v}∫[1 + \frac{\alpha^2 y}{L} + 2\alpha \sqrt\frac{y}{L} cos(\phi(y))]^\frac{-1}{2} dy##

where ## \phi (y) = \frac{\pi}{6} + sin^-1(\frac{\alpha\sqrt{y}}{2\sqrt{L}}) ##

The limits are between 0 and L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have input this integral several times into MATLAB with no success, I was wondering if there was a way to do this on paper? My module on numerical integration isn't until next term

You can use the fact that
[tex] \cos(\phi) =\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} \sqrt{4 - \frac{\alpha^2 y}{L}}- \frac{\alpha}{4} \sqrt{\frac{y}{L}}[/tex]
then change variables to ##y/L = w^2## to get
[tex]T = \frac{2}{v} 4L \int_0^1 \frac{w}{\sqrt{D(w)}} \, dw, \\
D(w) = 4 + 2 \alpha^2 w^2 + 2 \sqrt{3} \alpha w \sqrt{4 - \alpha^2 w^2}
[/tex]
A further change of variables to ##w = (2/\alpha) \sin(\theta)##, followed by ##\theta = \lambda/2## produces
[tex] T = \frac{2}{v} \frac{2L}{\alpha^2}
\int_{\lambda =0}^{2\arcsin(\alpha/2)} \frac{\sin(\lambda)}{2 - \cos(\lambda) -\sqrt{3} \sin(\lambda)}\, d \lambda [/tex]
This last integral still might not be doable explicitly, but it contains a single parameter ##r = 2 \arcsin(\alpha/2)##, so can be tabulated as a numerical function of ##r## (and perhaps even be "fitted" by a simple functional form in ##r## that has adequate accuracy over the ##r##-range of interest to you).

Note added in edit: by some further manipulations, the integral can be done in terms of standard functions. I really cannot tell you more until you supply evidence of having struggled with the problem, by showing your work, etc.

Last edited:

Related to How Can You Solve a Complex Numerical Integration Problem on Paper?

What is numerical integration method?

Numerical integration method is a technique used to approximate the value of a definite integral, which is the area under a curve on a given interval. It involves breaking down the interval into smaller subintervals and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the approximate area under the curve.

Why is numerical integration method used?

Numerical integration method is used because in many cases, it is not possible to find an analytic solution for a definite integral. This method provides a way to numerically approximate the value of the integral, which can then be used for further calculations and analysis.

What are the different types of numerical integration methods?

There are several types of numerical integration methods, such as the Trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. These methods differ in their approach to dividing the interval and calculating the approximate area under the curve.

What are the advantages of numerical integration method?

The main advantage of numerical integration method is that it can be used to approximate the value of a definite integral even when there is no analytical solution available. It is also a relatively simple and efficient method that can be applied to a wide range of functions.

What are the limitations of numerical integration method?

Numerical integration method is not always accurate, especially when the function being integrated is complex or has sharp changes. It also requires careful selection of the number of subintervals and the specific method used, as these can greatly affect the accuracy of the approximation.