How Can You Symbolically Solve for x in Mathematical Functions?

• Thread starter Ryanfjdskljafl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, there is not a general method to represent solving for x symbolically in a function y = f(x) unless the function is invertible. In your example, the function f(x) = 3x^2 is not invertible, so there is not a way to symbolically solve for x. However, in functions that are invertible, such as g(x) = e^x, there is an inverse function that can be used to solve for x.
Ryanfjdskljafl
Hi everyone, first time on the forum, so please feel free to give me unsolicited advice on if there's a better place to post this:

if i have a function f(x), is there a way to symbolize 'solve for x'.

for example, if f(x) == 3x^2, and I'm setting f(x) = 3, I want to be able to symbolically do something like x = f_inverse(3), so that we solve for x.
3x^2 = 3, x = 1.

is there a method to represent this symbolically like what I tried doing with f_inverse above?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread out of the Homework section as it seemed a better fit in the General Math section.
Ryanfjdskljafl said:
if i have a function f(x), is there a way to symbolize 'solve for x'.

for example, if f(x) == 3x^2, and I'm setting f(x) = 3, I want to be able to symbolically do something like x = f_inverse(3), so that we solve for x.
3x^2 = 3, x = 1.

is there a method to represent this symbolically like what I tried doing with f_inverse above?
In general, no, there's not a way to solve for x in the equation y = f(x), unless the function is invertible. The condition for invertibility is that the function is one-to-one.

Your example function is not invertible. The function f(x) = 3x2 is not one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse. If you solve the equation 3 = 3x2, you get two solutions: x = 1 or x = -1.

A function that is invertible is y = g(x) = ex. This is a one-to-one function, so there is an inverse that is itself a function; namely, x = g-1 (y) = ln(y).

Note to Fredrik, in case he steps in. I have used the notation sloppily. f above maps x to 3x2. I am aware of the difference between a function f and a function value f(x).

Related to How Can You Symbolically Solve for x in Mathematical Functions?

1. What are semi-basic math symbols?

Semi-basic math symbols are mathematical symbols that are commonly used in basic math operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples of semi-basic math symbols include + (plus), - (minus), * (multiply), and / (divide).

2. How do I use semi-basic math symbols?

To use semi-basic math symbols, you first need to understand the order of operations, which dictates the order in which math operations should be performed. Generally, multiplication and division should be performed before addition and subtraction. You can use parentheses to override this order. For example, in the expression 2 + 3 * 4, the multiplication should be performed first, resulting in 2 + 12 = 14.

3. What is the difference between basic and semi-basic math symbols?

The main difference between basic and semi-basic math symbols is the level of complexity. Basic math symbols include only the most essential symbols for basic math operations, while semi-basic math symbols include a wider range of symbols that can be used in more complex expressions and equations.

4. Can I use semi-basic math symbols in advanced math?

Yes, semi-basic math symbols can be used in advanced math, but they may not be sufficient on their own. In advanced math, you may need to use more specialized symbols and functions to solve complex problems. However, understanding semi-basic math symbols is still important as they are the building blocks for more advanced math concepts.

5. How can I improve my understanding of semi-basic math symbols?

The best way to improve your understanding of semi-basic math symbols is to practice using them in various equations and problems. You can also refer to online resources or consult with a math teacher or tutor for additional guidance and clarification.