How can you use the line integral to find the work done by a conservative force?

In summary, the problem involves a man carrying a 25-lb can of paint up a helical staircase that encircles a silo with a radius of 20 ft. The man makes three complete revolutions and the silo is 90 ft high. The work done by the man against gravity can be found using the line integral of the dot product of the force and displacement vectors. The force of gravity is -9.8 in the k direction, the displacement vector is given by r(t) = (20cost, 20sint, 90), and the derivative of r(t) is r'(t) = (-20sint, 20cost, 0). However, it is simpler to use the formula m
fk378

Homework Statement

A 160-lb man carries a 25-lb can of paint up a helical staircase that encircles a silo witha radius of 20 ft. If the silo is 90 ft high and the man makes exactly three complete revolutions, how much work is done by the man against gravity in climbing to the top?

Homework Equations

W= line integral of dot product of F(r(t)) -dot- r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

My r(t)= (20cost, 20sint, 90)
r'(t)=(-20sint, 20cost, 0)
t is between 0 and 6pi
I know that gravity is -9.8 in the k direction. However I don't know what to use for my vector field...or if I should be using a different r(t). At first I tried using <0,0,-9.8> -dot- <-20sint,20cost,0> but obviously that just gives me zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
The path taken is that described of a helix. How would you parametrise a helix? It should have non-zero components for all the i,j,k directions.

fk378 said:

Homework Statement

A 160-lb man carries a 25-lb can of paint up a helical staircase that encircles a silo witha radius of 20 ft. If the silo is 90 ft high and the man makes exactly three complete revolutions, how much work is done by the man against gravity in climbing to the top?

Homework Equations

W= line integral of dot product of F(r(t)) -dot- r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

My r(t)= (20cost, 20sint, 90)
r'(t)=(-20sint, 20cost, 0)
t is between 0 and 6pi
I know that gravity is -9.8 in the k direction. However I don't know what to use for my vector field...or if I should be using a different r(t). At first I tried using <0,0,-9.8> -dot- <-20sint,20cost,0> but obviously that just gives me zero.

It's a conservative force so the answer is simply mgh.
You may take the total displacement vector dotted with minus the force of gravity and you get of course mgh.

Do you have to prove it with an integral? I don't understand your r(t), the third compoenent (the 90) is not a constant as the man is climbing.

Related to How can you use the line integral to find the work done by a conservative force?

1. What is the definition of a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a vector field along a given path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field, and can be used to determine things such as work done or flux through a surface.

2. How is a line integral of a vector field calculated?

A line integral of a vector field is calculated by breaking the given path or curve into small segments, and then calculating the dot product between each segment and the corresponding vector in the vector field. These dot products are then summed up to get the total value of the line integral.

3. What is the difference between a line integral of a vector field and a surface integral?

A line integral of a vector field is calculated along a one-dimensional curve, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. Line integrals take into account the change in the vector field along a curve, while surface integrals take into account the change in the vector field over a surface.

4. What is the physical significance of a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field has various physical interpretations, depending on the context in which it is used. In physics, it can represent the work done by a force along a given path. In electromagnetism, it can represent the flux of an electric or magnetic field through a surface. In fluid dynamics, it can represent the flow of a fluid along a path.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals of vector fields?

Line integrals of vector fields have many real-life applications in various fields of science and engineering. In physics, they are used to calculate the work done by a force, while in electromagnetism they are used to calculate the flux of electric and magnetic fields. In fluid dynamics, they are used to calculate the flow of fluids in pipes and channels. They also have applications in computer graphics, where they are used to simulate the movement of particles in a vector field.