How can you use U.S. population data from 1790 to solve a differential equation?

In summary, to find the particular solution for the given differential equation (1/P)(dP/dt) = b +aP, with P0 = 3.9 (1790 population) as the initial condition, it is recommended to solve in terms of the constants a and b. Steps to solve the equation include integrating using partial fractions and taking the exponential of each side. However, it is important to keep the constants a and b in the equation until the final answer is obtained.
pjallen58
Use P0 = 3.9 (1790 population) as your initial condition to find the particular solution for this differential equation. Note: You may find it easier to solve in terms of the constants a and b. Show all the steps in your solution.

This is the last step to a multi-part problem. I basically did a scatter plot of the population for each year (x) and the relative growth rate (y) which was found by dividing an approximate growth rate by the US population between 1790 and 2000, did a linear regression and obtained the equation below.

y = -.0000917x + .0287

Given (1/P)(dP/dt) = b +aP

(1/P)(dP/dt) = .0287 - .0000917(P)
I think I need to integrate and get 1/P(dt) = (.0287 - .0000917(P))/dP

I don't know if this is set up right to integrate and if it is the fractions are confusing me and I don't know where to start. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

pjallen58 said:
Use P0 = 3.9 (1790 population) as your initial condition to find the particular solution for this differential equation. Note: You may find it easier to solve in terms of the constants a and b. Show all the steps in your solution.

This is the last step to a multi-part problem. I basically did a scatter plot of the population for each year (x) and the relative growth rate (y) which was found by dividing an approximate growth rate by the US population between 1790 and 2000, did a linear regression and obtained the equation below.

y = -.0000917x + .0287

Given (1/P)(dP/dt) = b +aP

(1/P)(dP/dt) = .0287 - .0000917(P)
I think I need to integrate and get 1/P(dt) = (.0287 - .0000917(P))/dP

I don't know if this is set up right to integrate and if it is the fractions are confusing me and I don't know where to start. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
No, you don't want to get 1/P(dt) = (.0287 - .0000917(P))/dP because you can't integrate "(1/P(dt))" is an unknown function of t (and you surely don't want the differentials in the denominator!). Get all the "P"s over on the left and "t" on the right. Then you can integrate, probably by using "partial fractions" on the left. If it were me, I would leave "a" and "b" in the equation until the final answer- less distracting.

I thought that didn't look right. Here is what I get:

(1/P(.0287-.0000917P)dp = dt

Integrate using partial fractions

1/.0287 ln|P/.0287-.0000917P| + C = t + C

ln|P/.0287-.0000917P| = .0287t + C

If t = 0, P = 3.9 so C = ln 137.6

Now I think I should take the exponential of each side to get:

|P/.0287 - .0000917P| = 137.6e^.0287t

Not sure if this is right thus far and plus since I am solving for P not sure how to isolate P. A little more guidnace would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just a little more help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FAQ: How can you use U.S. population data from 1790 to solve a differential equation?

1. What is U.S. population modeling?

U.S. population modeling is the process of using mathematical and statistical techniques to predict population trends and patterns in the United States. It involves gathering data on various demographic factors such as birth rates, death rates, immigration, and emigration, and using this data to create mathematical models that can accurately represent and predict changes in the U.S. population over time.

2. Why is U.S. population modeling important?

U.S. population modeling is important because it helps us understand and plan for the future. By predicting population trends, we can anticipate changes in areas such as healthcare, education, and housing needs. It also allows us to make informed decisions about policies and resource allocation in order to support a growing or changing population.

3. How is U.S. population modeling done?

U.S. population modeling involves the use of various statistical and mathematical techniques, such as regression analysis, time series analysis, and computer simulations. Data from sources such as the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agencies are used to create and validate these models.

4. What factors are considered in U.S. population modeling?

In addition to birth rates, death rates, immigration, and emigration, U.S. population modeling also takes into account other factors such as age structure, gender distribution, economic conditions, and social and cultural factors. These factors can have a significant impact on population growth and change.

5. Can U.S. population modeling be used to predict future population growth?

While U.S. population modeling can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is important to note that it is not a perfect science. Changes in political, economic, and social factors can affect population trends in unexpected ways. Therefore, while U.S. population modeling can give us a general idea of future growth, it should not be relied upon as the sole source of information for planning and decision-making.

Back