How Close Does the Truck Get to the Car During Acceleration?

• Thread starter Amel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the truck traveling at 92.0 km/hr approaches a car stopped at a red light, which begins to accelerate at 2.80 m/s2 to a final speed of 125.0 km/hr when the light turns green. The truck reaches its closest distance to the car when their velocities are equal, which can be found by setting their velocities equal to each other. The distance between them can also be expressed as a function to find the minimum distance.
Amel

Homework Statement

To save fuel, some truck drivers try to maintain a constant speed when possible. A truck traveling at 92.0 km/hr approaches a car stopped at the red light. When the truck is 121.2 meters from the car the light turns green and the car immediately begins to accelerate at 2.80 m/s2 to a final speed of 125.0 km/hr. How close does the truck come to the car assuming the truck does not slow down?

and How far from the stop light has the car traveled when the truck reaches its closest distance?

So what do I need to do here, I am not even sure which equations to use. Do I need to set the x of both equal to each other?

Can some one please walk me through this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind figured it out, they are closest to each other when their velocity is the same. so you set the V equal to each other.

Amel said:
never mind figured it out, they are closest to each other when their velocity is the same. so you set the V equal to each other.

Can you express the distance between them as a function? Then it would be possible to find a minimum, which would be the closest distance.

kbaumen said:
Can you express the distance between them as a function? Then it would be possible to find a minimum, which would be the closest distance.

Works too, but the OP's approach is much easier, albeit less straightforward. Good job, OP!

FAQ: How Close Does the Truck Get to the Car During Acceleration?

1. How do I identify the relevant physical principles in a problem?

The first step in setting up a physics problem is to carefully read the problem and identify the key physical concepts that are involved. These may include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, or the laws of thermodynamics. Once you have identified the principles, you can then apply them to solve the problem.

2. How do I choose the appropriate equations to use in a problem?

After identifying the relevant physical principles, the next step is to choose the appropriate equations that will help you solve the problem. This involves understanding the relationships between different physical quantities and selecting the equation that best applies to the given situation. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a visual representation to better understand the problem.

3. How do I account for all the variables in a problem?

In physics, it is important to consider all the variables that may affect the outcome of a problem. This includes variables such as mass, velocity, acceleration, and forces. Make sure to carefully read the problem and identify all the variables that are given and those that need to be solved for. It may also be helpful to list out all the known and unknown variables to keep track of them.

4. How do I check if my answer is reasonable?

One way to check if your answer is reasonable is to estimate the expected range of values for the given problem. This can be done by using order of magnitude calculations or by comparing your answer to known values or similar problems. You can also check for the correct units and make sure they are consistent with the problem.

5. How do I handle problems with multiple parts or stages?

Some physics problems may have multiple parts or stages, where the solution to one part may affect the solution to the next. In these cases, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and solve them one at a time. Make sure to carefully consider how each part may impact the next and adjust your approach accordingly.