How Close Must You Stand to Not Hear Sound from Two Separated Speakers?

• Thread starter bio.student24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the problem involves two radio speakers with a wavelength of 0.800 m separated by 1.00 m. The question is how close to speaker A can a person stand and not hear the sound they produce. The solution involves using destructive interference and finding the path length difference, which is equal to half a wavelength. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the answer is found to be d=1.05 m.
bio.student24
PLEASE HELP! Speakers and Sound--- simple problem!

Two radio speakers produce sound with a wavelength of 0.800 m. If the two speakers are separated by 1.00 m as shown in the diagram, how close to speaker A can a person stand and not hear the sound they produce?

DIAGRAM:

[A] --------d---------- person
|
|
|

where [A] and are the speakers (they are 1.00 m apart)

The answer is d=1.05m

How do i solve this problem?

i know that in order not to hear sound, it must be destructive interference, so when the wavelengths reach the person, they must be out of phase = [m + 0.5(lambda)] where m=0,1,2...

I don't know what kind of formula to use... please help! :(

Physics news on Phys.org

For destructive interference, the path length difference from the sources to the person must be λ/2, or 3λ/2 or 5λ/2 or any odd number multiplied by λ/2. Here you want the closest distance the person can be, so the path length difference must be λ/2. Can you find the path length difference?

Path length difference = λ/2 = 0.8/2 = 0.4 m

But now what would I do?

I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' method... but if i use a2 + b2 = c2

then 12 + x2 = (x+0.4)2
1 - 0.8x -0.16 = 0
x= 0.84/0.8 = 1.05 m

bio.student24 said:
I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' method... but if i use a2 + b2 = c2

then 12 + x2 = (x+0.4)2
1 - 0.8x -0.16 = 0
x= 0.84/0.8 = 1.05 m
If L1 is the distance from the person to the closest speaker and L2 is the distance to the farthest speaker, then the path length difference is L2 - L1. Can you find expressions for L1 and L2 in terms of the given quantities and according to the drawing you have posted?

hmmm... I've been trying but i can't think of something that works.. :(

bio.student24 said:
hmmm... I've been trying but i can't think of something that works.. :(
In your drawing you have a triangle marked by the vertices "a", "b" and "person". Which side should be labeled L1 and which side should be labeled L2?

L2 should be the distance between speaker b and the person.
L1 should be the distance between speak a and the person.
right? now what?

Back to my earlier posting.

kuruman said:
If L1 is the distance from the person to the closest speaker and L2 is the distance to the farthest speaker, then the path length difference is L2 - L1. Can you find expressions for L1 and L2 in terms of the given quantities and according to the drawing you have posted?

the only thing i can think of is using Pythagorean theorem for this question..

is there a specific formula or expression relating sound waves and path length difference? i don't know one...

Use the Pythagorean theorem and find the difference between the two lengths. That difference should be set equal to half a wavelength. Solve the equation to find d.

thats exactly what i did? haha

So what's the answer?

d= 1.05 m

FAQ: How Close Must You Stand to Not Hear Sound from Two Separated Speakers?

What could be causing my speakers to produce no sound?

There could be a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be a problem with the audio source, such as a loose connection or muted volume. It could also be an issue with the speakers themselves, such as a blown fuse or damaged wiring. Lastly, it could be a software issue, such as outdated drivers or audio settings.

Why is there crackling or distortion in my speakers?

This could be due to a few different factors. It could be caused by a loose connection, damaged wiring, or interference from other electronic devices. It could also be a problem with the audio source, such as low quality audio files or a damaged CD/DVD.

How can I improve the sound quality of my speakers?

There are a few ways to potentially improve the sound quality of your speakers. You could try adjusting the equalizer settings, positioning the speakers in a better location, or upgrading to higher quality audio files or equipment. You could also try cleaning any dust or debris from the speakers or checking for any loose connections.

Why is there no sound coming from one of my speakers?

If only one of your speakers is producing no sound, it could be a problem with the speaker itself, such as a damaged driver or blown fuse. It could also be due to a loose or damaged wire connecting the speaker to the audio source. Another possibility is that the balance settings on your audio device are not properly adjusted.

How can I fix low volume output from my speakers?

There are a few things you can try to increase the volume output from your speakers. You could check the volume settings on your audio device and make sure they are turned up. You could also try adjusting the equalizer settings or positioning the speakers in a different location. If these do not work, it could be an issue with the speakers themselves, such as a damaged driver or blown fuse.

Back