How close to QG now with cellular quantization?

In summary: The main point is that the cellular decomposition is a way of quantizing GR using the full range of degrees of freedom.Now, one might think that this is a bit of a stretch, because the full cellular decomposition contains degrees of freedom that are not relevant to GR.For example, the 4-cell contains the position and momentum of the four particles in the cell. But those are not relevant to GR, because they are not conserved.The key point is that the cellular decomposition captures all the degrees of freedom that are relevant to GR.So, in summary, the Bonzom Smerlak paper is a "proof-of-concept"
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
There is an issue with the new paper by Bonzom and Smerlak on cellular quantization of geometry, which surfaces in an obscure footnote #5 on page 5 at the end.

The paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.4996 appears to resolve most or all of the outstanding doubts concerning the Loop program. That would be too good to be true, so what's the catch?
In what ways does their paper fall short of a full resolution?

If you have some ideas about this, I hope you will share them. I'll start off by saying what I think is the main unresolved issue: concerning that footnote at the end.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of it depends on what you think the goal of QG is. Some people would say it is to understand the structure of geometry at very small scale. I would say it is to understand geometry at very high energy density. The two goals seem identical but there may be a subtle difference.

In terms of a standard cutoff k (standing for energy, wavenumber, inverse length...) energy density is simply the fourth power k4 so what's the difference between taking k to infinity and taking k4?

For me there is a difference because I think of a nonperturbative background independent QG achieving three things:
to recover GR in appropriate limit
to be tested against early universe observation
to resolve the GR glitch at the start of expansion, probably with a bounce.

So a successful theory of quantum geometry would have to model the bounce, an evolution through extremely high energy density that you can't put in a box. And the results of which we can observe after the fact.

The paradigm is slightly different from what one automatically thinks of as a quantum experiment---a box with a cat in it, or some other such boxed system with the experimenter and his classical paraphernalia outside.

I think if you look at footnote 5 on page 5 of the paper you will see that Bonzom and Smerlak are being told a reservation about their results which goes more or less as follows. The aim of QG is to put some geometry in a box and study it as a quantum system so that we can understand the *microscopic structure* of geometry. What you, Bon and Smer, are doing is not directly relevant to that, because a box and its contents are topologically TRIVIAL and a 2004 paper of Freidel Louapre already told how to deal with that situation.
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0401076 .
The reservation is that we don't need what they are doing (with this cellular quantization paper) because our main business is to learn about the microscopic degrees of freedom of geometry in a box and this doesn't advance that particular program.

But I think this may be the wrong perspective. It does not reflect what I think is the most interesting thing, namely the behavior of geometry at extreme energy density at the start of expansion, which we can actually OBSERVE because we see the ancient light that came from it---the microwave background---and maybe other stuff too.

Of course it could be the right perspective. In footnote 5 they are reporting comment by a very smart expert, A. Perez, so I feel a bit odd being in disagreement. I could easily be wrong about this. I hope some other people have thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
the main thing about the Bonzom Smerlak paper is that it is a "proof-of-concept" of cellular quantization. It applies CQ to the pure BF theory a kind of dry run or test case and it gets the right thing..

Now pure BF is supposed to give you a topological invariant. It only sees the broad form of the space, is it sphere, is it torus etc. It has no freedom to detect ripples and suchlike local variation. Spinfoam quantum geometry is founded on BF---it takes it as a starting point and adds a constraint that breaks the BF topological invariance. It adds a term to the action that cripples its ability to ignore local variations and see only topology. And by happy good fortune the broken BF theory turns out to be General Relativity! So the spinfoam approach is based on that "lamed" form of BF.

Now BF theory can be quantized using cell-complexes: either what is called a 2-complex (foam) consisting only of the 1-cells and 2-cells, or the full cellular decomposition consisting of 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-cells.

We are used to spinfoam QG where you just use the 2-complex, it has been in the spotlight for the past 3 or 4 years. Now Bonzom and Smerlak have proposed, and tried out, an extension of that where you quantize GR using the full cellular decomposition.

Actually you take any TRIANGULATION Δ of the 4d spacetime into simplices, and you take the DUAL to that triangulation, which is a cell complex K.

I have to go, supper. Back later.

Here's a good way to get a rough sense of what Matteo Smerlak is like.

Video seminar talk (lots of Q/A dialog with Laurent Freidel and Lee Smolin)
Is temperature the speed of time? Thermal time and the Tolman effect.
Matteo Smerlak

Google "smerlak pirsa" and get http://pirsa.org/10110071/

Related to How close to QG now with cellular quantization?

Question 1: What is cellular quantization?

Cellular quantization is a theory in physics that suggests that spacetime is made up of discrete units, similar to the pixels on a screen. This theory is a potential solution to the problem of reconciling quantum mechanics with general relativity.

Question 2: How does cellular quantization relate to quantum gravity?

Cellular quantization is one of the proposed theories for quantum gravity, which is the field of physics that aims to unite quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that spacetime is fundamentally discrete, which could help resolve the issues that arise when trying to combine these two theories.

Question 3: How close are we to achieving cellular quantization?

Currently, cellular quantization is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven or confirmed through experimentation. While there have been some promising developments in this area, we are still far from achieving a complete understanding of cellular quantization.

Question 4: What are some challenges in developing cellular quantization?

One of the main challenges in developing cellular quantization is the lack of experimental evidence. It is also a complex and highly mathematical theory, making it difficult to test and understand. Additionally, there are many competing theories and approaches in the field of quantum gravity, making it challenging to determine which is the most accurate.

Question 5: What are the potential implications of cellular quantization?

If cellular quantization is proven to be an accurate representation of spacetime, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help us better understand the nature of gravity, the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in the field of physics.