How Close to the End Can Suki Walk Before the Beam Tips?

In summary, this conversation discusses a problem involving a steel beam resting on two supports and a person standing on the beam. The goal is to determine how close the person can stand to one end before the beam begins to tip. The solution involves finding the pivot point, dividing the weight of the beam between the two sides of the pivot point, and calculating the center of mass for each side.
halo9909

Homework Statement

A steel beam that is 6.50 m long weighs 354 N. It rests on two supports, 3.00 m apart, with equal amounts of the beam extending from each end. Suki, who weighs 535 N, stands on the beam in the center and then walks toward one end. How close to the end can she come before the beam begins to tip?

Homework Equations

unsure what to use

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is confusing for me, I tried drawing a picture and am unsure if it is correct, so I have no idea how to solve this or attempt this in a correct way

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture.

Now choose either support as a pivot point.

On one side you have the center of mass of that part of the beam acting over its distance to the pivot. On the other side you have Suki and the center of mass of the other side of the beam. The moment little Suki slides past the distance to maintain balance is where it all comes apart doesn't it?

So I "split" the beam in half so the left side would be
177N and the other half with Suki would be 712N

How would i go from there?

halo9909 said:
So I "split" the beam in half so the left side would be
177N and the other half with Suki would be 712N

How would i go from there?

No.

You need to split the weight of the beam between each side of the pivot point. The center is not the pivot point. You need to calculate where the support point that it will pivot about is on the beam first. Then divide the weight between the 2 sides.

But even after you find the weight division you still need to find the center of mass for each of those sides of the beam.

Suki*distance + part beam center of mass*distance = other part beam center of mass*distance.

Related to How Close to the End Can Suki Walk Before the Beam Tips?

1. What is distance force calculation?

Distance force calculation is a scientific method used to determine the strength of the force between two objects based on their distance from each other.

2. Why is distance force calculation important?

Distance force calculation is important because it helps us understand the relationship between objects and how they interact with each other. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of objects in different situations.

3. How is distance force calculation performed?

Distance force calculation is performed by using mathematical equations, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, to calculate the force between two objects based on their masses and the distance between them.

4. What units are used in distance force calculation?

The units used in distance force calculation depend on the specific equation being used. However, common units include meters for distance, kilograms for mass, and newtons for force.

5. What are some real-world applications of distance force calculation?

Distance force calculation has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of planets in our solar system, calculating the force between molecules in chemical reactions, and designing structures to withstand forces from earthquakes or other natural disasters.

Back