How coordinate lines transform under ##e^z=\frac{a-w}{a+w}##

In summary, the coordinate lines in the z plane transform according to the following equation: w = u + iv.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

Say how coordinate lines of the z plane transform when applied the following transformation

##e^z=\frac{a-w}{a+w}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is exactly the way the problem is stated. It is a pretty weird transformation in my opinion and I'm guessing ##w## is the transformation and the coordinate lines in question are cartesian coordinate lines.

That said I've solved for ##w##

##w=\frac{a(1-e^z)}{1+e^z}##

And what I've attempted to do is consider the cases ##x=C## ##y=C## where ##C## is some arbitrary constant and find an expression of the form ##w=u+iv##. This has proven quite tedious and very little if at all illuminating.

So I was wondering how I could proceed?

At first I thought this was similar to a bilinear transformation but now I've thought not at all.

I don't know this topic too well so I'm probably not seeing something basic here, or failing to identify the class of transformation in questionThanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you start with discovering how the x-axis (real axis) transforms. Calculate w for x values of ##-\infty,-1,0,+1,+\infty##. You'll find a nice simple result.

Next look at how coordinate lines parallel to the x-axis transform. They will be of the form ##a\frac{1-e^{ni+x}}{1+e^{ni+x}}
=a\frac{1-e^{ni}e^x}{1+e^{ni}e^x}## for ##n## an integer. Again calculate w for x values of ##-\infty,-1,0,+1,+\infty##.

I think it gets more complicated after the first step. A quicker and easier way to get a feel for it (that would not be available in an exam, so be cautious if this is exam practice) would be to use a spreadsheet or R/matlab-type program to calculate w for the table of coordinate grid points in the square [-10,10] x [-10,10]. I expect a pattern will emerge.

I just tried plotting the constant x surface on MATLAB and got an oval but strangely its contour is fuzzy (by which I mean its not a perfect line)

The oval might be a circle I'm adjusting the scale...

edit: Indeed it is a circle.

It seems the constant x and y surfaces map into circles and rays. I don't see why...:nb) Any ideas?

Nevermind they seem to map into some weird collection of circles

Related to How coordinate lines transform under ##e^z=\frac{a-w}{a+w}##

1. How do coordinate lines transform under the given equation?

The coordinate lines transform under the given equation by undergoing a conformal transformation. This means that the angles between the lines are preserved, but the distances between points may change.

2. What is the significance of the equation ##e^z=\frac{a-w}{a+w}## in coordinate line transformations?

The equation is significant because it represents a Möbius transformation, which is a type of conformal transformation that preserves circles and lines. This makes it a useful tool for analyzing and understanding the transformation of coordinate lines.

3. Can this equation be used for any type of coordinate system?

No, this equation is specifically for Cartesian coordinates. Different equations would be needed for other coordinate systems, such as polar or spherical coordinates.

4. How does the value of ##a## affect the transformation of coordinate lines under this equation?

The value of ##a## determines the center and scale of the transformation. When ##a=0##, the transformation becomes a translation. As ##a## approaches infinity, the transformation becomes a rotation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this equation and its transformation of coordinate lines?

Yes, Möbius transformations have been used in various fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and complex analysis. They can also be used to model physical phenomena, such as fluid flow and electrical circuits.