How dangerous 1,4 benzenedithiol is?

• Thread starter yfir
  • Start date
In summary, 1,4 benzenedithiol is a highly dangerous compound with a highly disagreeable odor and cancer-causing potential.
yfir
Hi,

Just simple question, how dangerous is 1,4 benzenedithiol? Does it have a strongly disagreeable odor like some of the thiol molecules? And what kind of handling of this material needs to be done?

Regards,
Yfir

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Google for 1,4 benzenedithiol MSDS.

It smells terrible. Use gloves and take them off before you leave your workstation. If you get this stuff on your gloves and then wander around the lab touching everything, especially the lab phone, everyone will hate you.

Ask me how I know.

Everybody hated you for this?

I hated someone else for this. Used the phone after he did, after he touched the doorknob, wash bottles, balance. All were contaminated. I smelled like a sewer the rest of the day. It highlighted a problem we had with contamination in the lab. If someone touches everything with contaminated gloves and you come in after and touch the same surface without gloves, you've just gotten a dose of something. I was furious. That's when I noticed how many people were wandering the halls... with their gloves still on their hands.

Hi chemisttree, thanks for your sharing. Thats exactly I try to avoid, to be hated by my colleagues in the lab..:), I will be more cautious to use this substance then..

yfir said:
Hi,

Just simple question, how dangerous is 1,4 benzenedithiol? Does it have a strongly disagreeable odor like some of the thiol molecules? And what kind of handling of this material needs to be done?

Regards,
Yfir

Consult the Merk Index. If you're not familiar with it, go to the library, find one, look up the compound, and then just spend a few minutes reading about it. I mean just looking at the name, it's got benzene, sulpher so cancer-causing and it smells bad.

. . . ugh, I'm not sure if the thiol group affects the carcinogenisity (sp) of benzene. But if I had a Merk index, well then, I could wip that right out for you.

Last edited:

Related to How dangerous 1,4 benzenedithiol is?

1. How does 1,4 benzenedithiol affect human health?

1,4 benzenedithiol is considered a highly toxic chemical and can have serious health effects if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. It is known to irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. Long-term exposure can lead to organ damage and even cancer.

2. What are the potential environmental hazards associated with 1,4 benzenedithiol?

1,4 benzenedithiol is harmful to aquatic life and can also contaminate soil and groundwater if not properly disposed of. It is important to handle and dispose of this chemical carefully to prevent harm to the environment.

3. How is 1,4 benzenedithiol commonly used in industry?

1,4 benzenedithiol is often used in the production of pharmaceuticals, dyes, and pesticides. It is also used as a cross-linking agent in rubber and plastic manufacturing. In addition, it has applications in the production of adhesives and coatings.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when handling 1,4 benzenedithiol?

When handling 1,4 benzenedithiol, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator. It should also be used in a well-ventilated area to prevent inhalation. In case of skin or eye contact, immediately flush the affected area with water and seek medical attention.

5. Is there a safe level of exposure to 1,4 benzenedithiol?

There is no safe level of exposure to 1,4 benzenedithiol. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and limit exposure as much as possible to minimize the potential health risks associated with this chemical.