How did Maxwell find the speed of light

In summary, Maxwell was looking for the speed of EM waves and just divided coulomb's constant by the magnetic constant and then took the square root and that was the speed of light.
stephen8686
According to this video I was watching Maxwell was looking for the speed of EM waves and just divided coulomb's constant by the magnetic constant and then took the square root and that was the speed of light.

√(Ke0)=√(9e9/1e-7) = 3e8m/s

So why is this a thing? I just don't understand why it works, and how did Maxwell know it was the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which video? Until you tell us that, we don't know whether it's incomplete or whether you're missing something.

One of the solutions to Maxwell's equations is an electromagnetic wave moving at ##3\times{10}^8## m/sec; you will find some good derivations if you google for "Maxwell speed of light derivation". However they will require some vector calculus and solving a differential equation so I don't know if there's a better answer than "Trust us, that's what you get when you do the math" without understanding the math.

The speed of light had been measured and found to be ##3\times{10}^8## m/sec long before anyone had any idea what light was. So when Maxwell worked through the math and found that it predicted waves traveling at the already known speed of light he made an inspired guess - that the waves his equation predicted were light.

Nugatory said:
Which video? Until you tell us that, we don't know whether it's incomplete or whether you're missing something.

One of the solutions to Maxwell's equations is an electromagnetic wave moving at ##3\times{10}^8## m/sec; you will find some good derivations if you google for "Maxwell speed of light derivation". However they will require some vector calculus and solving a differential equation so I don't know if there's a better answer than "Trust us, that's what you get when you do the math" without understanding the math.

The speed of light had been measured and found to be ##3\times{10}^8## m/sec long before anyone had any idea what light was. So when Maxwell worked through the math and found that it predicted waves traveling at the already known speed of light he made an inspired guess - that the waves his equation predicted were light.

The video is here:
The part that I am referring to happens at about 11;30
It's a pretty simple video, so I don't think I am missing anything, and the video is on caltech's channel so I assume it is credible. I see that the speed of light can be determined from Ampere's Law (which I will not fully understand until the end of this year). I just don't understand why these two particular constants have any relationship to the speed of light.

Related to How did Maxwell find the speed of light

1. How did Maxwell determine the speed of light?

Maxwell used a combination of mathematical equations and experimental data to calculate the speed of light. His famous set of four equations, known as Maxwell's equations, describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves, including light. By plugging in the known values for the properties of space and electricity, Maxwell was able to calculate the speed of light.

2. What were the key discoveries that led to Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light?

Maxwell's equations were based on the work of previous scientists, such as Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell. However, Maxwell's key contribution was the unification of these equations into a comprehensive theory of electromagnetism. He also incorporated the concept of displacement current, which allowed for the propagation of electromagnetic waves and ultimately led to the calculation of the speed of light.

3. Why is Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light significant?

Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light was significant because it provided a crucial piece of evidence for the existence of electromagnetic waves. This discovery revolutionized our understanding of light and its relationship to other forms of energy, and it paved the way for further developments in the field of physics.

4. How accurate was Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light?

Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light was remarkably accurate for its time. His result was within 1% of the currently accepted value of the speed of light. However, with advancements in technology and more precise measurements, we now know that the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 meters per second.

5. What impact did Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light have on science and technology?

Maxwell's calculation of the speed of light had a significant impact on both science and technology. It provided a foundation for the study of electromagnetism and led to the development of numerous technologies, including radio, television, and telecommunications. It also paved the way for Einstein's theory of relativity and our current understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.