How did the variable change in the Dirac-Delta function property equation?

In summary, the Dirac-Delta Function Property is a mathematical concept that describes a function with value zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. It is defined as a distribution that satisfies certain conditions and has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be integrated using its sifting property and has a relationship with the Kronecker Delta, a discrete function.
unscientific
I'm not sure how they got the RHS of equation 349:

where did the |y'(xj)| in the denominator come from?

According to (343) the RHS is only f(x0) which in this case is the jth term of the sum that gives y(xj) = 0..

pqayw.png

Physics news on Phys.org
where did the |y'(xj)| in the denominator come from?
... um... from evaluating the integral?

According to (343) the RHS is only f(x0) which in this case is the jth term of the sum that gives y(x
j
) = 0...
I don't think that is what (343) says.

The integral you are evaluating is centered in a small range about ##y_j=y(x_j)##.
(343) is for the entire y axis, and is centered about the origin.

Simon Bridge said:
... um... from evaluating the integral?

I don't think that is what (343) says.

The integral you are evaluating is centered in a small range about ##y_j=y(x_j)##.
(343) is for the entire y axis, and is centered about the origin.

I'm sorry I still don't quite understand how the |y'(xj)| in the denominator came about. How do you evaluate the integral?

It comes from the Jacobian due to a change of variables done in order to perform the integral

dauto said:
It comes from the Jacobian due to a change of variables done in order to perform the integral

I still don't quite understand why is there a denominator:

δ(y(x)) is zero everywhere except at the particular xj where δ(y(x)) = δ(y(xj)) = δ(0) = 1

Then the integral can be simplified to give:

∫ f(x) dx from xj-ε to xj+ε where ε is small enough such that it does not coincide with other solutions of y(xi) = 0 for some xi.

Then that should give f(xj)∫ dx from xj-ε to xj

= f(xj) * 1 (∫ dx from xj-ε to xj+ε = 1)
= f(xj)where did the |f'(xj)| in the denominator come from?

unscientific said:
δ(y(x)) is zero everywhere except at the particular xj where δ(y(x)) = δ(y(xj)) = δ(0) = 1

Isn't it zero everywhere except where ##y=y_j:y_j=y(x_j)##
(What is y(x)?)

That means the ##\delta(y)## in the integrand turns into ##\delta(y-y_j)## to stay consistent.
Maths is a language - what is the math here supposed to be describing?

Now you can apply the rule.

Also take note: for a pure math interpretation...
dauto said:
... how did they change variables?

unscientific said:
I still don't quite understand why is there a denominator:

That's all wrong. δ(0) isn't equal to unit. The integral is equal to unit. δ(0) itself is an undefined divergent quantity - infinite.

Simon Bridge said:
... how did they change variables?

They changed from an integral over dx to an integral over dy. There is a Jacobean factor.

Related to How did the variable change in the Dirac-Delta function property equation?

1. What is the Dirac-Delta Function Property?

The Dirac-Delta Function Property is a mathematical concept used to describe a function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. It is often represented by the symbol δ(x) and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point-like particles or impulses.

2. How is the Dirac-Delta Function Property defined?

The Dirac-Delta Function Property is defined as a distribution, or generalized function, that satisfies the following two conditions: 1) it is zero everywhere except at the point of interest, and 2) its integral over the entire real line is equal to 1.

3. What are some applications of the Dirac-Delta Function Property?

The Dirac-Delta Function Property has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to represent point charges, impulses in electrical circuits, and point masses in mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Dirac-Delta Function Property be integrated?

Yes, the Dirac-Delta Function Property can be integrated. However, the integral of the Dirac-Delta function is only defined when it is multiplied by another function. This is known as the Dirac-Delta Function Property's sifting property, which states that the integral of the product of the Dirac-Delta function and another function is equal to the value of the other function at the point of interest.

5. What is the relationship between the Dirac-Delta Function Property and the Kronecker Delta?

The Dirac-Delta Function Property and the Kronecker Delta are two different mathematical concepts. While the Dirac-Delta Function Property is a continuous function, the Kronecker Delta is a discrete function. However, they share some similar properties, such as the sifting property and the fact that they are both zero everywhere except at a single point. In some cases, the Kronecker Delta can be used as a discrete approximation of the Dirac-Delta Function Property.

Back