How Do Absolute Values Express At Least and At Most Conditions?

In summary, an absolute value statement is a mathematical expression that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. To solve an absolute value statement, you must consider both the positive and negative values of the expression within the vertical bars. An absolute value statement differs from an inequality in that it expresses a specific value, while an inequality represents a range of values. Absolute value statements can have variables, and they are commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and everyday life.
mathdad
Rewrite each statement using absolute values.

1. The distance between x and 4 is at least 8.

Work:

| x - 4 | > or = 8

Correct?

Why must we write greater than or equal to for AT LEAST statements?

2. The distance between x^3 and -1 is at most 0.001.

Work:

| x^3 - (-1) | < or = 0.001

Correct?

Why must we write less than or equal to for AT MOST statements?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Rewrite each statement using absolute values.

1. The distance between x and 4 is at least 8.

Work:

| x - 4 | > or = 8

Correct?

Why must we write greater than or equal to for AT LEAST statements?

Yes, that's correct. When we say something is "at least" some value, that's equivalent to saying it is that value or greater. If I say I have at least \$20 in my pocket, then you know the money in my pocket is \$20 or more.

RTCNTC said:
2. The distance between x^3 and -1 is at most 0.001.

Work:

| x^3 - (-1) | < or = 0.001

Correct?

Why must we write less than or equal to for AT MOST statements?

That's correct too. When we say some value is at most some other value, then that's equivalent to saying it is that value or less. If I say I have "at most" \$20 in my pocket then you know the money I have in my pocket is less than or equal to \$20. :D

Good to know the difference between "at least" and "at most" because it is very common in the world of inequality applications.

Related to How Do Absolute Values Express At Least and At Most Conditions?

What is an absolute value statement?

An absolute value statement is a mathematical expression that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always positive and is denoted by vertical bars surrounding the number.

How do you solve an absolute value statement?

To solve an absolute value statement, you must consider both the positive and negative values of the expression within the vertical bars. If the expression is positive, the absolute value will remain the same. If the expression is negative, you must make it positive by multiplying it by -1.

What is the difference between an absolute value statement and an inequality?

An absolute value statement expresses the distance of a number from zero, while an inequality represents a range of values that a variable can take. Additionally, an absolute value statement usually has an equal sign, while an inequality has a greater than or less than sign.

Can absolute value statements have variables?

Yes, absolute value statements can have variables. The absolute value expression will remain the same, but the value of the variable can change. When solving, you must consider both the positive and negative values of the variable.

What are some real-life applications of absolute value statements?

Absolute value statements are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate distances and magnitudes. They are also used in economics and finance to represent the difference between actual and expected values. In everyday life, absolute value statements can be used to find the absolute difference between two numbers or to determine the absolute value of a loss or a gain.