How do batteries work? (DON'T MAKE IT SIMPLE)

In summary, batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a process called electrochemical reactions. This energy is then stored in the battery's cells, which are made up of positive and negative electrodes separated by an electrolyte solution. When a circuit is completed, the battery's chemical reactions release electrons, creating an electric current. As the battery is used, the chemical reactions gradually deplete the stored energy, leading to a decrease in voltage and eventual depletion of the battery's charge. Different types of batteries use different materials and chemical reactions to produce energy, but the basic principle of converting chemical energy into electrical energy remains the same.
Bboy Physics
First off, this isn't really a homework question, but I'd rather post it here and look like somebody trying to learn rather than being mocked at secretly in the engineering section.

So my question is, how do batteries work, SPECIFICALLY? Down to the ditty-bit details. Every source I try to pop out on the internet is either way too simplified(for elementary school projects) or doesn't explain certain aspects such as why the redox reaction occurs only when the load is complete(otherwise by this logic the electrodes would be gradually converted into the product material until it is no longer usable the day it is manufactured)

Here's my attempt at understanding exactly what's going on in a battery(in a circuit, of course).

A battery is composed of the non conductive shell, and layers of ionic compounds/elements/acids within. The outer layers, the conductors, are of course used to be a good current path because they are good conductors, ie. gold and aluminum. The inner layer is composed of elements/compounds/ ions that are capable of being reactants(separately) with the electrolyte, which is in the smack dab center connecting the two electrodes. There is also a separator in the electrolyte to prevent a short circuit.(I'm not sure WHY it would short circuit if there wasn't one; to my knowledge short circuit is when you connect one end of the battery to the other end externally to move electrons too fast which heats the conductor and depletes the battery quickly).

From here on, an oxidation reaction occurs when a load is connected between the electrodes and electrolyte(separately) for a reason unknown to me. From here on I have no idea what's happening. To my knowledge, the cathode and anode should just attract each other and deplete each other but there's probably something I'm missing out on.

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: How do batteries work? (DON'T MAKE IT SIMPLE)

1. How do batteries store and release energy?

Batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This chemical energy is stored in the form of two electrodes (usually made of different metals) and an electrolyte solution that allows ions to flow between them. When a circuit is connected, the chemical reactions between the electrodes and the electrolyte release electrons, creating a flow of electricity.

2. What are the different types of batteries and how do they differ in their functioning?

There are several types of batteries, including alkaline, lithium-ion, lead-acid, and nickel-cadmium. They differ in their chemical composition and how they store and release energy. For example, alkaline batteries use zinc and manganese dioxide electrodes, while lithium-ion batteries use lithium compounds as their electrodes. This difference affects factors such as energy density, lifespan, and rechargeability.

3. Why do batteries lose their charge over time?

Batteries lose their charge over time due to a process called self-discharge. This is when the chemical reactions that produce electricity continue to occur even when the battery is not in use, gradually depleting its energy. The rate of self-discharge varies depending on the type of battery and its storage conditions.

4. How do batteries recharge and what is the difference between rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable batteries can be recharged by reversing the chemical reactions that occur during discharge. This is typically done by providing an external source of electricity, such as a charger. Non-rechargeable batteries, on the other hand, are designed to only be used once and cannot be recharged. This is because the chemical reactions that occur during discharge are not reversible.

5. Can batteries be recycled and why is recycling important?

Yes, batteries can and should be recycled. This is because they contain toxic chemicals and heavy metals, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, that can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. Recycling allows these materials to be safely extracted and reused in new batteries, reducing the need for mining and preserving natural resources.