How Do Bead Speeds Relate on a Semicircular Wire with a Tight String?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: Any help? Thanks!You might give us some context for the problem since there are different methods for solving it. If it's a "related rates problem" from a calculus course then you would be expected to use calculus. Or if it's a problem where you can use any method you want, then you can solve it with just geometry, trig, and some insight.Ist relation, Lsin(α)=Rsin(β)=dβ/dtIInd Relation, Lcos(α)-Rcos(β)=xDifferentiating the second relation with respect to time,Rsin(β)(dβ/dt)-Lsin(α
Saitama

Homework Statement

Two beads A and B move along a semicircular wire frame as shown in the figure as shown in figure. The beads are connected by an inelastic string which always remains tight. At an instant the speed of A is u, angle BAC is 45 degrees and angle BOC is 75 degrees, where O is the centre of semicircular arc. The speed of bead B at that instant is.
23kufc2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea on how to begin with this. How should i go on forming equations?
Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again :-p

Since the string is not extensible, the vertical velocity of B will always have to be equal to the velocity of A. Can you frame an equation for this?

Infinitum said:

Since the string is not extensible, the vertical velocity of B will always have to be equal to the velocity of A. Can you frame an equation for this?

I did that once but i thought i am trying my own foolish things.
I assumed that at any instant the distance of A from O is x and that of B is y.
l=(x+y)cos45
Differentiating with respect to time, i get:
(dy/dt)=-(dx/dt)

How can i proceed further?

Pranav-Arora said:
l=(x+y)cos45

Umm noo..how did you get that?

You can simply equate the vertical velocity component of B to u. The velocity of B will be have its direction tangential to the ring...what does this tell you about its vertical component?

Infinitum said:

Hello, Infinitum. I don't see how your statement can be true. If the vertical component of velocity of B equals the velocity of A, then during a time Δt, both particles would move the same distance vertically. But B will also move horizontally during this time. So, it seems to me that this would change the distance between A and B.

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea on how to begin with this. How should i go on forming equations?
Please point me in the right direction.

You might give us some context for the problem since there are different methods for solving it. If it's a "related rates problem" from a calculus course then you would be expected to use calculus. Or if it's a problem where you can use any method you want, then you can solve it with just geometry, trig, and some insight.

Infinitum said:
Umm noo..how did you get that?

You can simply equate the vertical velocity component of B to u. The velocity of B will be have its direction tangential to the ring...what does this tell you about its vertical component?

Sorry, i think i did not explain it correctly. My assumption can be better shown by this pic:
108fbkl.jpg

So what i did was incorrect? and why?

TSny said:
You might give us some context for the problem since there are different methods for solving it. If it's a "related rates problem" from a calculus course then you would be expected to use calculus. Or if it's a problem where you can use any method you want, then you can solve it with just geometry, trig, and some insight.

Well, it isn't specified that i need to do the problem by a specified method, any method will do.

TSny said:
...you can solve it with just geometry, trig, and some insight.
Would you be so kind to tell me how i can solve by this? :-p

Hi Pranav,

The angles change with time so just call them α and β or anything else. Find relation between them and x. You know that u=dx/dt. The speed of the other bead on the circle is v=R|dβ/dt|. You need to differentiate, using that the length of the cord is constant in time, and so is the radius of the circle.

ehild

Attachments

• pranav.JPG
    pranav.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 637
ehild said:
Hi Pranav,

The angles change with time so just call them α and β or anything else. Find relation between them and x. You know that u=dx/dt. The speed of the other bead on the circle is v=R|dβ/dt|. You need to differentiate, using that the length of the cord is constant in time, and so is the radius of the circle.

ehild

Hello ehild! :smile:

As you said i tried finding some relations,
Ist relation, Lsin(α)=Rsin(β)=d
IInd Relation, Lcos(α)-Rcos(β)=x
Differentiating the second relation with respect to time,

Rsin(β)(dβ/dt)-Lsin(α)(dα/dt)=dx/dt
I can use the first relation here but i don't seem to reach the answer.

Instead of using law of sines, why not try using law of cosines.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Hello, Infinitum. I don't see how your statement can be true. If the vertical component of velocity of B equals the velocity of A, then during a time Δt, both particles would move the same distance vertically. But B will also move horizontally during this time. So, it seems to me that this would change the distance between A and B.

Hi TSny. You are right, I meant to write that the velocity component of A along the length of the rod has to be equal to the velocity component of B along the length of the rod, so that the rod length remains the same.

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry, i think i did not explain it correctly. My assumption can be better shown by this pic:
108fbkl.jpg

So what i did was incorrect? and why?

Oh, I see. You had mentioned that the distance of B from O is y earlier, that led me into confusion :-p

I also made a little mistake while saying their vertical components are equal. Instead, their velocities along the rod have to be the same, for no extension.

Infinitum said:
Oh, I see. You had mentioned that the distance of B from O is y earlier, that led me into confusion :-p

I also made a little mistake while saying their vertical components are equal. Instead, their velocities along the rod have to be the same, for no extension.

Umm..so what i did is incorrect?

How should i proceed now?

Pranav-Arora said:
Umm..so what i did is incorrect?

Yes, you got "l=(x+y)cos45"

But it should be [itex]lcos45 = x+y[/itex]

And you cannot simply differentiate this because the angle is changing continuously, as ehild indicated.

How should i proceed now?

An easier approach is equating the velocities of A and B along the rod. Let the velocity of B be v, and then try to solve the problem.

Infinitum said:
An easier approach is equating the velocities of A and B along the rod. Let the velocity of B be v, and then try to solve the problem.

Oh, that's a nice hint, thanks for the help, i got the answer. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Oh, that's a nice hint, thanks for the help, i got the answer. :smile:

Way to go! :approve:

Infinitum said:
Hi TSny. You are right, I meant to write that the velocity component of A along the length of the rod has to be equal to the velocity component of B along the length of the rod, so that the rod length remains the same.

That's a very nice way to solve it.

I had solved it by setting up a velocity triangle based on

VB = VA + VB/A . (vector addition!)

where VB/A is the velcity of B relative to A. VB/A must be perpendicular to line AB in order for AB to keep a fixed distance apart. This is similar to your statement that the velocity components of A and B along line AB must be equal. From the velocity triangle you can then use the law of sines to get the result.

But I like your approach much better. It gets the answer right away.

Thanks.

Infinitum said:

It is ingenious, Infinitum!

My method is much more complicated.
The speed of the bead on the vertical line is dx/dt=u.
The speed of the bead on the circle is v=Rdβ/dt=Rω

From the cosine law in the tringle AOB,

[tex]L^2=R^2+x^2+2Rxcos(\beta)[/tex]

With implicit differentiation,

[tex]0=x u+R u cos(\beta)-Rx\sin(\beta) ω[/tex]

isolating v=Rω

[tex]v=u\frac{(1+\frac{R}{x}cos(\beta))}{\sin(\beta)}[/tex]

Form the sine law, [tex]\frac{R}{x}=\frac{\sin(\alpha)}{\sin(\beta-\alpha)}[/tex]

Plugging in and simplifying, we get:

[tex]v=u\frac{cos(\alpha)}{\sin(\beta-\alpha)}[/tex]

ehild

Attachments

• beads.JPG
    beads.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 578
ehild said:
The speed of the bead on the vertical line is dx/dt=u.
The speed of the bead on the circle is v=Rdβ/dt=Rω

From the cosine law in the tringle AOB,

[tex]L^2=R^2+x^2+2Rxcos(\beta)[/tex]

With implicit differentiation,

[tex]0=x u+R u cos(\beta)-Rx\sin(\beta) ω[/tex]

isolating v=Rω

[tex]v=u\frac{(1+\frac{R}{x}cos(\beta))}{\sin(\beta)}[/tex]

Form the sine law, [tex]\frac{R}{x}=\frac{\sin(\alpha)}{\sin(\beta-\alpha)}[/tex]

Plugging in and simplifying, we get:

[tex]v=u\frac{cos(\alpha)}{\sin(\beta-\alpha)}[/tex]

ehild
It's really complicated. :-p
Thanks for an alternative solution. :smile:

Related to How Do Bead Speeds Relate on a Semicircular Wire with a Tight String?

What are beads on semi-circular wire?

Beads on semi-circular wire are small spherical objects that are strung onto a wire that is shaped in a semi-circular form. They can be made from various materials such as glass, plastic, metal, or wood.

What are the uses of beads on semi-circular wire?

Beads on semi-circular wire are often used for crafting and jewelry making. They can also be used for decoration, such as in curtains, lampshades, or wall hangings. They are also commonly used in religious practices and rituals.

How are beads placed on semi-circular wire?

Beads are placed on semi-circular wire by threading them onto the wire one by one. The wire can be bent to hold the beads in place, and the process is repeated until the desired length or design is achieved.

What are the benefits of using beads on semi-circular wire?

Beads on semi-circular wire can add texture, color, and dimension to any craft or jewelry project. They are also versatile and can be easily manipulated to create different shapes and designs. Additionally, they are relatively inexpensive and can be found in a wide variety of colors and sizes.

How do you care for beads on semi-circular wire?

To keep beads on semi-circular wire in good condition, it is important to store them properly, such as in airtight containers or jewelry boxes. They should also be kept away from moisture and extreme heat or cold. If they become dirty, they can be gently cleaned with a soft cloth and mild soap.